Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2019

New Release — The Legacy by Ann Markim

Pregnant and unwed, Anna Jorgesen is disowned by her parents and sent to America from her beloved Denmark and all she holds dear. With high hopes and plans to wed the father of her unborn child, Jorn Stryker, her heart is full of dreams. But Jorn greets her with little enthusiasm, and reluctantly agrees to marry Anna in order to be able to continue his business of helping young men emigrate to America—with her family’s help.

Jorn assigns a farm hand, Halvor Hansen, to look after Anna each year when he returns to Denmark for his next group of emigrants, and slowly, Halvor begins to fall in love with Anna. Could she ever return his love, or will she remain steadfastly loyal to her harsh husband, who seems to care nothing for her or his growing family?

Anna becomes more self-reliant as she grows into womanhood, and faces disappoints in her turbulent marriage to Jorn—until something happens that rips her world apart, changing her life in more ways than she would ever have believed. She is forced to make a painful decision, and though she feels she can live with the finality of it, that choice threatens to turn the entire town against her.

With the unforeseen, far-reaching consequences of the choice she makes, will everything be lost to her? Or will she be able to at last find happiness?

EXCERPT


October 23, 1874

     Thankfully, I survived the Atlantic crossing and interminable train journey from New York to Cedar Falls. At times, I was so ill that I was not certain if I would live or die. On my eighteenth birthday, a downpour and constant jagged lightning kept me prisoner in my cabin. Throughout the day, squalls churned up colossal waves. The ship pitched from side to side, down and up with such force it flung me from my bed. I prayed that my death would be swift and painless when the vessel capsized.
     Throughout my journey, memories of being with Jorn in Denmark last summer kept me going.
     Despite the incessant sour smell of fermentation from Peder’s brewery, I feel much better after my four days in Cedar Falls. I am lucky that my brother has willingly taken me in. He sent word to Jorn that I am here.
     Peder says Jorn usually comes to town on Saturdays, so I expect he will call on me tomorrow. It seems like years since August, when he left me to return to America. I can hardly wait to see him, and I am sure he is eager to see me, too. I had so wanted to wear something pretty for him, but all my garments have been packed in trunks for so long that they are creased beyond help.
     That is a small thing, as we have our wedding to plan, and I hope he will show me his vast farm, which he described so proudly when he told me of his life in Iowa. Many times, I have imagined what his house looks like, since I am soon to become its mistress. I wonder how many servants we shall have. Probably quite a few, since he has helped so many people emigrate from Denmark.
     Oh, Jorn. Your Special Girl is here and ready to begin our life together.


      

13 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting story. Best of luck with it, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new release. I love a slow-burn romance, and setting it against a backdrop of the brave immigrants and an unloving marriage is compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I hope you'll enjoy The Legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your debut novel! Such an exciting day for you. The plot of your story is so unique and I love the excerpt. Best of luck to you, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, I really did love The Legacy! I'm so curious as to what comes next for Anna! She's already had a very interesting life, but I know there is more to come! LOL Congratulations on your wonderful new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. So glad you loved it. The next one is Erik's story, but Anna makes an appearance in it.

      Delete
  6. The first is always so special. I am so happy for you and your story. Iowa is forgotten in many stories, so I'm thrilled you are bringing it to life. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. The story was inspired by my Danish ancestors who immigrated to Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Ann! I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Ann, and here's hoping for lots of success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on publishing your debut novel, Ann. I'm already rooting for your heroine and it's nice to know there's a sequel. When I love the characters I love to see them reappear in subsequent stories. I wish you much success. You've certainly found a wonderful home with PRP.

    ReplyDelete