Search This Blog

Sunday, December 3, 2023

Tombstone Territority - The TV Show


Post by Doris McCraw

aka  Angela Raines

Photo (C) Doris McCraw

Can you believe the year 2023 is on its way out? It also means this is the last post on the early TV Westerns. I am finishing the year with the show 'Tombstone Territory" based loosely on the Wyatt Earp legend although the characters we know from that time were not used in the scripts for the show.  It ran for two years on ABC and a third season as a syndicated show.

The show starred Pat Conway as Clay Hollister, the Sheriff, and Richard Easthman as the newspaper editor of the Tombstone Epitaph. On a side note, there was a real Tombstone Epitaph, and it began publishing in 1880. Yes, it still is in existence. Tombstone Epitaph

I always enjoyed the narration by Eastman as he gave the date the events took place and the setup for what was to come. His voice and delivery were spot-on.

Pat Conway, at 6'3", was an imposing presence. Born on January 9, 1931, he passed away on April 24, 1981. He had a deep pedigree in the industry. His father, Jack Conway, was a director at MGM, and his grandfather was Francis X. Bushman. 

Pat Conway
Photo from Wikipedia

For more about Conway, here is a link to his biography on IMDb: Short biography

Richard Easthman, was born June 22, 1916, and died July 10, 2005. He stood three inches shorter than Conway at 6'. Before his acting career and serving in WWII, Eastman sang with the St. Louis Grand Opera as a college student in St. Louis, MO. On Broadway, he was the understudy for Ezio Pinza, as the lead in 'South Pacific'. 

For more on Easthman, here is a link to his IMDb biography: Easthman short bio

If you want to experience the show, here is a link to a YouTube episode: Tombstone Territory - Ep. 1

Below are the links to the previous post on early TV Westerns.

Mackenzie's Raiders

Frontier Doctor

The Tall Man

The Adventures of Jim Bowie

"Overland Trail" - YouTube

Trackdown - Self-Defense

Cimarron City

Whispering Smith


Amazon


Until Next Time: Stay safe, Stay happy, and Stay healthy. 

Doris














6 comments:

  1. What a quick year it's been. You really sent me down the rabbit hole with the link to that newspaper! That's a museum I'd love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I just got started down this journey. I also love reading the old newspapers. So many stories and details. Of course, if there is a museum I have to visit it. Doris

      Delete
  2. Many thanks for this interesting series, full of great details. I love the name of the newspaper! Happy holidays to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been my pleasure, Lindsay. I hope it has been a fun for others as it was for me to research and write.
      I also wish you and yours the best holidays possible. Doris

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love Tombstone Territory. I watched every episode this past summer. Even though I don't remember watching this show, it was evidently a show my parents watched, because I recognized the theme music and I could sing the words, which delighted me immensely. ;-)

    I enjoyed your series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did also. Good writing, good acting and like you say, a catchy theme song.
      Glad you enjoyed the series of old TV shows. It's been a blast to research. Doris

      Delete