Search This Blog

Sunday, September 3, 2023

THE TALL MAN - as the journey continues

Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines

Photo (C) Doris McCraw

This post on my journey through the old westerns on TV is about "The Tall Man". While this show is not one I watch much it is worth it for me just to see Clu Gulager in action.

For those who would like to look at the other shows in this series, they will be listed at the end of this post.

Image of the real Pat Garrett
from Wikipedia

The show ran from September 1960 to September 1962. There were 75 episodes of this NBC series. The show is set when Pat Garrett, the tall man, was friends with Billy the Kid. The show starred Barry Sullivan as Garrett and Clu Gulager as Billy. Like many shows of that period, you will see many faces you would recognize today as stars of the Western Genre.

Actor Barry Sullivan
from Wikipedia

The show's star, Barry Sullivan, born in New York in 1912, was 6'2". Although his performance in this show was panned by some critics it didn't stop him from having a decent career in the business. 

Clu Gulager, born William Martin Gulager in Holdenville, OK in 1928, was Billy. Gulager went on to have a successful career, primarily in television. He passed away just over a year ago in early August 2022. What some may not know: His father had been an actor before having a career as an attorney in Muskogee, OK. His father's mother was the sister of humorist Will Rogers' mother. He was also a member of the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma. 

Actor Clu Gulager
from IMDb


The show was created and produced by Samual Peeples. Peeples moved from being a novelist to scriptwriter and producer after being given an assignment by Frank Gruber. Most of his novels, a number in the Western Genre, were written under the pen name Brad Ward.

Here is episode 6 from the first season: A Bounty for Billy (watch for the surprise actor in this one)

The Adventures of Jim Bowie

"Overland Trail" - YouTube

Trackdown - Self-Defense

Cimarron City

Whispering Smith




Until Next Time: Stay safe, Stay happy, and Stay healthy. 

Doris






6 comments:

  1. You are right, some well-known faces from the Western genre here, and a look at the cast on IMDB shows a stellar cast of guest stars like Martin Landau, Iron Eyes Cody, and Nancy Reagan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that seeing those faces are almost as much fun as the shows thenselves. At least for me. Have a great day.

      Also, how is the writing going? Doris

      Delete
  2. Fascinating learning about the varied backgrounds of these early Western stars. No wonder so many looked so right in the saddle. Thanks so much for this series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found the same thing. I admit it is for selfish reasons I started this series, I wanted to make sure these performers and shows didn't get lost. Glad you're also enjoying it. Doris

      Delete
  3. Darn Google/Blogger is so hit and miss for me with commenting. I give it a good try every couple of weeks after reading articles and sometimes I have success. I have read all your articles in this series, by the way, and I look forward to the next month's installment. ;-) I wasn't familiar with The Tall Man other than recognizing the title as a western tv series. The surprise actor in this episode had pointy ears in his acting future. ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could comment this time, pointy ears included. I'm glad you're enjoying the series. I'm having so much fun with these. Doris

      Delete