Search This Blog

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Audie Murphy - Whispering Smith - TV Western

 Post by Doris McCraw aka Angela Raines

Photo (c) Doris McCraw

I'm continuing my journey through some of the old, lesser-known, Western TV shows. This month I'm looking at Audie Murphy and his starring role in the TV show "Whispering Smith" a Denver Police Detective in the 1870s or close to that time.

The show ran for one season from 1961 to 1962. However, the show was filmed in 1959 but did not premiere until 1961. One of the stories I read was that Guy Mitchell, Murphy's costar, had broken his shoulder. They delayed production so that scripts could be rewritten to adjust Mitchell's screen time, and even after that you will notice him in a cast. One of the other stars, Sam Buffington, who while looking older was actually only 26 at the time they started filming the series, committed suicide after only sixteen episodes.

A couple of other things of note are: there was a novel, written in 1906 by Frank H Spearman, that was said to be an adaptation of the true life adventures of the Union Pacific railroad detective by the name of James "Whispering" Smith. That novel was the inspiration for four different silent movies and four different "sound" movies. The movie I remember seeing was "Whispering Smith", the 1948 movie with Alan Ladd and Robert Preston. Second: Murphy, in talking about the TV show, called the show, "Dragnet on horseback". And in watching this series you will hear Murphy narrating much like Jack Webb did on the Dragnet series. Third: Only 20 of the 26 episodes aired after the Senate investigated the show as being too violent with Senator John Carroll stating, "Not only bad for children, it's bad for adults."

Guy Mitchell - Left, Audie Murphy - Right
From Wikipedia

As for the stars of the show, Audie Murphy as many may remember was the most decorated American soldier in World War II. He saw combat service for three years, was in nine major campaigns, was wounded three times, and earned 33 awards and decorations for his service. What makes this even more interesting is he had joined at the age of 16 which means by the time he left the service in 1945 he was still under 21 years of age. (I have listened to the audiobook of his memoir, "To Hell and Back", and have seen the film in which he starred as himself. It did more to help me understand World War II that a lot of the other reading I had done.)

Murphy's costar, Guy Mitchell, was known as a singer and this was one of his early roles. Mitchell was also in the service during World War II, having served in the Navy. After serving Mitchell was a singer with the bandleader Carmen Cavallaro. This may explain why you periodically will hear him break out into song in the police station that is part of the show.

The show can be streamed on YouTube or like me you can purchase the series. I confess, I enjoy the show and haven't found it to be as 'violent' as some say. Perhaps I'm a bit more tolerant of the depiction of the West. I would leave it to others to make their own decision.



Links to previous TV show posts:



If anyone is interested you can also read or sign up for my weekly Thoughts and Tips newsletter: Thursday's Thoughts and Tips


Until Next Time: Stay safe, Stay happy, and Stay healthy.

Doris









6 comments:

  1. It's odd how changes in society are often imperceptible. For sure this series would not be seen as bad for adults and children now! Great post, I admit I'm often down the rabbit hole with these old series to find out what happened to all the actors. So sad that Sam Buffington died so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look back on the shows I watched as a chlld and those now and it sometimes surprises me. I am also like you, I head dow a rabbit hole about the actors also. I didn't know Sam's age until I started researching this show. I am glad you are enjoying these trips into the past. Doris

      Delete
  2. Another interesting post about a TV show I have never seen. Astonished that Audie Murphy was so young during the war! Poor San Buffington. Thanks for sharing, Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the math at least twice. The fact that his enlistment papers said he was older made it at bit harder to get to is age. If you look at his photos after he returned, he looks so young. I also agree about Sam. People forget how hard the acting business is on a persons mental health. I'm glad you are finding these shows interesing. I enjoy researching and sharing. Doris

      Delete
  3. I vaguely remember this show. I'm sure my parents watched it, which is why I vaguely remember it. haha - I chuckled at the show being 'too violent", because I've recently watched the one season of Yancy Derringer (which I do remember watching and having a little girl crush on Jock Mahoney), and people die left and right in Yancy Derringer episodes--many of them by double barreled shotgun blasts. (shaking my head)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shake my head a lot when I read some of the reactons to shows. I agree, it never seemed that violent. I also can understand a crush on Mahoney. (Sigh). I confess, I enjoy taking these trip down memory lane, and sometimes finding something I'd never seen before. It's so much fun. Thanks for commenting, it makes the work worth the while. Doris

      Delete