Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2023

A look at TV Westerns - The Range Rider

 Post by Doris McCraw aka Angela Raines


Photo property of the author

Cue music: "Home on the Range" and 

Voice over: "And who could be more at home on the range than the Range Rider? With his thrilling adventures of the great outdoors. His exciting experiences, rivaling those of Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Buffalo Bill, and other pioneers of this great country of ours. And Dick West, All American Boy."

This began the syndicated show "The Range Rider" 

Jock Mahoney as the Range Rider
from Wikipedia

This and future post is a look at some of the early TV Westerns. First up is "The Range Rider".

The official IMDb site displays the following: "The Range Rider had a reputation for fairness, fighting ability, and accuracy with his guns and was known far and wide, even by the Indians."

The show ran in syndication for three seasons from 1951-1953 for a total of seventy-nine, thirty-minute episodes. It was from Gene Autry's 'Flying A Productions' and its theme song was the familiar "Home on the Range."

The stars of the show were: Jack 'Jock' Mahoney and Dick Jones. 

Dick Jones 

Tell me who could ever forget the feline grace of Mahoney and the horsemanship of West. I swear in all the episodes I've seen I've never once seen Mahoney use a stirrup. He's beside the horse and then in one smooth motion, he's atop the animal. And the much shorter Jones was not far behind when it came to getting into the saddle. 

I always found it fascinating that the 'Range Rider' never wore boots but used moccasins instead. Perhaps that contributed to the feline grace of the character. 

Both Mahoney and Jones did most of their own stunts. In fact, Mahoney was a stuntman and stood in for Charles Starrett in "The Durango Kid" movies. The other standout was the chemistry between the two men and the humor that they played so well off of each other. 

Mahoney, born in Chicago, IL. in 1919, was 6'4".  Dick Jones, born in Snyder, TX in 1927, was 5'7". Although only eight years younger, Jones passed as a teen in the show. 

For more about Jock Mahoney: Wikipedia - Jock Mahoney

For more information on Dick Jones' career: Wikipedia - Dick Jones

And, of course, if you'd like to check out an episode: Range Rider- Marshal From Madero

See you next time for another exciting adventure tale from the shows I have enjoyed.

Make sure to check out the other posts on this blog. The information and topics are as diverse as the stories the authors here tell.



Doris

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if this was ever shown over here, but I don't remember ever seeing it. Mahoney has a look of the great Gregory Peck about him

      Delete
    2. He does. The internet says it was aired in Great Britain in the 60s, but you know the internet. I was quite young when it went off the air, but thank goodness for streaming. LOL. Doris

      Delete
  2. My family didn't get television until 1956, when I was 5, so I missed this one. Interesting post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family had the second TV in town. I think they got it before 1950. I was too young to see this show, but have had fun catching up with what I missed. LOL. I'm also one who wants to know as much about the background as I can find. Glad you found it interesting. Doris

      Delete
  3. I don't think I ever saw this show, but I sure would like to. You have such interesting posts and I look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words about my posts. I'd not seen the show either, but that goodness for DVDs and streaming. (I found this series on YouTube) Doris

      Delete