Search This Blog

Sunday, July 2, 2023

EVER SEE "OVERLAND TRAIL" - THE TV SHOW?

Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines

Photo property of the author

Saddle up as we join Fred and flip as they travel through the old west of the TV show "Overland Trail", on my journey through the lesser-known early television shows the short live show starred William Bendix as Fred Kelly, the superintendent of the Overland stage company, and Doug McClure as Flip Flippin, his sidekick.

The show had only 17 one-hour-long episodes, but boy are they fun. The show began on February 6, 1960, on NBC. Its competition: "Lassie" on CBS, and "Walt Disney Presents" on ABC. It ended its short run on June 6, 1960.

This was the show that brought Doug McClure to the notice of the television-watching public. His chemistry with Bendix is something to behold and there is just something about his smile.

The background for the television show has a Bendix character, Fred Kelly, as the person who raised McClure's character, Flip Flippin. Due to that relationship, the young Flip worked with Fred on the Overland stage line. Although I'm not sure the McClure character's name would go over with the television-watching public today there is no denying the joy in watching the two try to outsmart each other. Yet, one can tell the mutual affection of a father-son relationship underneath.

If you would like to catch up on the other television shows in this series they are linked below after the show in this post.

"Overland Trail" - YouTube

For the earlier posts in the series, see below:

Trackdown - Self-Defense

Cimarron City

Whispering Smith



Until Next Time: Stay safe, Stay happy, and Stay healthy.

Doris


4 comments:

  1. All these Western Shows! Thanks so much for sharing this part of the folklore and history of these series - especially interesting to me as I'd never seen or heard lots of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, most were just blips from my childhood. Now, thanks to the internet I'm filling in the glimpses I remember. I love these shows and it's fun sharing them. I'm glad others enjoy them also. Doris

      Delete
  2. Another show that's new to me, but many of the names are very familiar. So that was where Doug McClure got his start? He certainly carried on making his mark from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Doug did get his start on this show. I agree, he did some great follow up work. I think that's what I love about these old shows, the stars and guest stars who got their start in them. Thanks for stopping by. Doris

      Delete