Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Movie Kisses Series 7/10/2024 The Quiet Man #prairierosepubs #moviekisses


Here we are at the seventh installment of my year-long look at The Kiss in historically-set movies.

 

Recap of movie kisses so far:

January KissThe Phantom of the Opera 

February KissThe Princess Bride

March KissThe African Queen

April KissShakespeare in Love

May KissQuigley Down Under

June KissIndiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

What would a series about kisses in historically set movies be without a John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara kiss?

 Disappointing. That’s what it would be.

I cut my eye teeth, as the saying goes, on John Wayne movies. As such, John Wayne and his larger than life persona are a memorable part of my childhood. Maureen O’Hara was my favorite of all his leading ladies. I remember being absolutely crushed when I discovered they weren’t married. In my pre-teen thinking brain, they were such a perfect couple, how could they not be married. I was even a little put out with John when he kissed other leading ladies.

While I could rant about how many of Wayne’s movies did not age well for the portrayal of the women’s characters (McLintock! and The Quiet Man, I’m looking at you), I’m reminding myself that I mustn’t make judgements of the past through the lenses of our current societal mores.

Onward to this month’s kiss…


Regardless of my mini-complaint that The Quiet Man didn’t age well, the two kisses toward the end of the movie are my favorite John Wayne
 and Maureen O’Hara kisses. As always, Maureen O’Hara’s characters hold their own with Wayne's characters, and she shines in this movie in that regard.

I absolutely love the build-up to the kisses, which occurs during a storm in a cemetery.

The kisses come at the end of this clip. (1:23 and 1:49)

 


See you next month for more kisses from the big screen.



2 comments:

  1. I've always been a huge Maureen O'Hara fan, and love everything she did. She is perfect in this and is electric in every scene. I just can't imagine this movie with any other cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing I love most about these 'kisses', no dialogue. It makes it very real. Doris

    ReplyDelete