Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2022

PROCRASTINATION ?

 Post  by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Raines

I confess I procrastinate by heading outside
to hike and take photos. Photo property of the author

How many know the song 'Anticipation' by Carly Simon? Well, have you ever thought of substituting the word "procrastination" for the title of the song? Here's an example:

Procrastination, Procrastination,

Is makin' me late

Is keepin' me waitin'

It fits, doesn't it? The words even fit. 

Now, I confess, I've always been a huge fan of Carly and her writing. As I pondered what I'd write about this month, the song and the word just kept at me. 

The above is kind of 'tongue in cheek' but procrastination can be something that can stop us in our tracks. We think if we procrastinate we are bad. If we're not working we are lazy. Admittedly, it can grow into a huge wall in our creative lives. But, I would say it also gets a bad reputation.

In November of 2015, an article was posted online via Psychology Today about how "procrastination can actually improve your productivity and happiness."  Here is a short version of what I took from the article.

If you are an active procrastinator you probably do anything but what you need to do. Guess what? You are getting your 'to do' list done. The dishes, laundry, that letter you were going to write. Soon you just have that one thing you've been avoiding and guess where that can lead?

Sometimes when you put something off, you forget why it was important. If you re-evaluate it, you may decide it wasn't really necessary.

Have you ever realized that procrastination can help you focus on what's really important to you? Think about it.

For me, and probably for others, when a task (can we talk writing a novel here?) is feeling daunting, we put it from our thoughts. What is really happening, especially for me, is my subconscious is working out the logistics and when I do sit down the words flow a lot easier.

Big decision? Procrastinating on what you will do actually gives you time to reconcile your rational mind and intuition, especially if they are diametrically opposed. You are giving yourself breathing room to find what is really the right choice for you.

I loved this point. Procrastination can lead to a better apology. How you may ask? Well, if you put off the offering of the words of apology until after you 'cool off', your words are probably going to be more heartfelt and ring true to the listener.

Get lost in the possibilities
Photo property of the author

For those who would like to read another article "The Perks of Procrastination/" from a Harvard posting, here is the link: https://professional.dce.harvard.edu/blog/the-perks-of-procrastination/

Of course, none of this is an excuse to not get your story or your novel written. It doesn't excuse not following up with marketing, but it does mean, 'Don't be so hard on yourself"

As the beginning of the song says:

'We can never know about the days to come

But we think about them anyway ..."

For those who would like to hear the whole song, here is a link to the Youtube video:

Carly Simon - Anticipation


Just think about it, Anticipation/Procrastination

Until next month, be kind to yourself and keep those thoughts going and fingers moving. 


Doris Gardner-McCraw -
Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in
Colorado and Women's History
Angela Raines - author: Telling Stories Where Love & History Meet
Angela Raines FaceBook: Click Here






10 comments:

  1. Loved this. In my writing I often find that leaving a story to percolate can change it for the better. It might be termed procrastination my some, but I think it's better to deliver a good job than a quick one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I feel that when we beat ourselves up for not doing things quickly we miss the opportunities that taking the time offers. Like you, I feel my work benefits from that extra time. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to procastinate,procrastinate, sometimes it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all do, it may be somewhat natural. Still, we can't stay there, can we? (Smile) Doris

      Delete
  4. Love the idea of it providing a breathing space in ours lives and a chance to re-assess.
    Lovely photos. Especially liked the deer and teazels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, I was hoping to allow people to see procrastination as a possible good thing. Glad you loved the idea.

      I do get pretty lucky with my photos at times. Doris

      Delete
  5. Procrastination is the bane of my life and gets me into loads of stress at times when I end up burning the midnight oil to beat a deadline. I was gratified by the points you made and thus it should make me feel a little less guilty of my bad habit. To stop procrastinating was my only new year's resolution. Well, it's already a week in February and I'm still procrastinating over a non-writing job that I'm still dragging my heels over, but I've at least spread it out on my table. Burning a nice scented candle helps. I love your photographs and now will go read the link about procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it helps. Sometimes, at least for me, it's the self-talk that makes it harder. Changing the story I tell myself has helped. Doris

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the article. I used to be a chronic procrastinator, but my to-do lists got out of hand. Now, procrastinating causes me anxiety, and I feel better if I just plunge in and do what needs to be done. In writing, if I can't figure out what to do in a scene, I just put in hashtags and go on. Sometimes the answer comes as my story gets father along. But I know everyone is different, and that makes reading other people's comments very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I find if I go for a walk, or just let it set I do better. I love the hashtag, but I'd lose my place. LOL. Doris

      Delete