Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Mandela’s Road from Prison to Presidency

 


     Nelson Mandela was born Rolihlahla Mandela on July 18, 1918 in a small South African village with no electricity or running water. His father served as a counselor to the Acting King of the Thembu people, most of whom lived in the Eastern region. When Rolihlahla was 12 years old, his father died and he became a ward of the Acting King. Under his tutelage, Rolihlahla learned the history of the wars of resistance including the Boer Wars and the bravery of his ancestors in the struggle against apartheid. This inspired him to make his own contribution to the fight for freedom.

     He was given the name Nelson in primary school, where the custom was to give “Christian names” to all schoolchildren. He was the first member of his family to attend high school. When he completed his coursework in 1938, he became one of a small number of black students in the country who attained a high school education.

Nelson Mandela at age 19

     Although he began studies at the University College of Fort Hare, he was expelled for joining a student protest before completing his studies. This infuriated the King, who threatened to arrange a marriage for Mandela. He ran away to Johannesburg instead, where he worked at several jobs and became more politically active in the fight against apartheid. While there, he completed his Bachelor of Arts degree through the University of South Africa. In 1944, he joined the African National Congress (ANC) and co-founded the ANC Youth League. 

    That same year, he married Evelyn Ntoko Mase. Together they had two daughters and two sons.

     In 1943, Mandela began courses at the University of the Witwatersrand toward a Bachelor of Laws degree (LLB). He left without graduating, although he had completed his two-year credential in law. He was chosen National Volunteer-in-Chief of the Defiance Campaign. This was a civil disobedience movement against six laws the ANC considered unjust. For their part in the campaign, Mandela and 19 others were charged under the Suppression of Communism Act and sentenced to nine months of hard labor, but the sentence was suspended.

     Since Mandela held a Bachelor of Arts degree and had completed two years of study in law, even without graduating, he was allowed to practice. He and a partner opened South Africa’s first black-owned law firm, Mandela & Tambo.

      In 1958, Mandela divorced his first wife and married Winnie Madikizela. Together, they had two daughters.

      The South African government banned the ANC in April 1960. The movement went underground. In January 1962, Mandela left the country for six months to garner support for the ANC. In August, he was arrested for incitement and leaving the country without a passport. He was tried and sentenced to five years in prison.  There, he began studying law again.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting and compelling early history of an amazing man. Thanks for sharing, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of history's all-time most remarkable men. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to admire the courage of people like Mandela, who follow through on what they believe needs to be done. Thank you for sharing his early life. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be...www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete