Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Rodeo Songs by Kaye Spencer – Part 2 of 4 – Countdown of Kaye’s 7 Favorite Rodeo Songs #rodeo #rodeosongs #prairierosepubs




This is Part 2 of my four-part series about my favorite rodeo songs, which came about because July 4, 2019 was the 150th anniversary of the Deer Trail Rodeo in Deer Trail, Colorado. It was a rodeo from my younger days that I didn't miss.

You can read about my teenage rodeo years in Part 1 HERE.

Also in Part 1, I promised to post pictures of me as the Brush Rodeo Queen c. 1970 before this series is finished. I haven’t located those pictures yet. I will, though. I promise. Hopefully, I’ll have them for Part 3 in November.

Now, on to my favorite rodeo songs…

To remind us, coming in at Number 7 was Bad Brahma Bull sung by Chris LeDoux and Number 6 was Marty Robbins’ Strawberry Roan. The link above to the Part 1 blog has the videos of these songs.

Counting down, my Numbers 5 and 4 share the same theme:

Rodeo cowboy falls for a woman who breaks his heart and his spirit.


Number 5 is Bandy, the Rodeo Clown by Moe Bandy. It was released in 1975. Moe followed the rodeo circuit as a bull rider in his youth, but he turned to a career as a country music artist when the rodeo-related injuries weren’t worth the ride anymore.



Number 4 is another Marty Robbins song called All Around Cowboy (1979). Marty wrote this song, which isn’t surprising, since he wrote many of his songs.



Next month, Part 3 of my favorite rodeo songs will have Numbers 2 and 3. Any guesses?


Until next time,
Kaye Spencer



Stay in contact with Kaye here:


Images Courtesy:
Bull and rodeo clown: Fololia.com - license purchased for use
Rodeo Queen: Creative Commons license "At a small town rodeo (22)" by 4nitsirk









6 comments:

  1. What memories these songs bring back. Yes, we had rodeos in the mid-west where I grew up. I even remember the TV show 'Stoney Burke' that was popular back then.

    Thanks for sharing these memories and songs. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being American, many of these were new to me. Thanks for introducing me to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doris,

    Stoney Burke was a short-lived, but entertaining television program. He was a saddle bronc rider. Jack Lord before his Hawaii 5-0 days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Chris LeDoux and Marty Robbins, but I have never heard these songs before. Of course, I haven't been to that many rodeos either--like I'm a southeasterner so, what can I say? LOL However, I think cowboys in those rodeos are pretty dang sexy--and maybe a little crazy to ride those wild animals.
    All the best to you, Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,
    Here I am three weeks late in checking comments... Oops. I agree about the craziness. I think it's equal parts death wish and crazy. *shrug* lol

    ReplyDelete