Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2019

New Release — Courting Anna: Women of Destiny by Cate Simon

Beautiful Anna Harrison has carved out her life as a small-town lawyer. Brilliantly intelligent and fiercely independent, a female attorney of her caliber is quite the oddity in 1880s Montana Territory! After losing her fiancé years before, she guards her heart as carefully as her treasured independence—until outlaw Jeremiah Brown comes into her life. Throwing caution to the wind is not in Anna—but what can one night with her handsome client hurt? He’s leaving town the next day…

Jeremiah Brown has been working hard to come clean and dodge bounty hunters who know him as Tommy Slade until the statute of limitations runs out on his past crimes. Though he’s irresistibly drawn to Anna, he’s well aware that sleeping with his beautiful attorney is a deadly game to play, even if it’s only “just” one night. Still, how can he resist?

But Fate has different plans for them, and they find themselves falling in love against their better judgment. How can they have a future with a price still on Jeremiah’s head? And how can Anna find happiness as a wife without losing her own hard-won independence? When circumstances spiral out of their control, they both discover that love is the most important thing of all. 

In the courtroom, in the wilderness, and in the face of scandal, Jeremiah’s biggest challenge is Courting Anna.


EXCERPT


     "Someone here to see you boys," said the deputy, clearly relishing the fact that he was in on something.
     The men both smiled, through the bars of the sheriff’s lockup. The blond one had an open, friendly look, and a classically handsome face, but the dark-haired one, Jeremiah Brown, lit up the room with that broad smile of his. "Well, hello, ma'am," he said. "It's nice of you to come and call. But we were expecting…"
     "You were expecting a lawyer named Harrison, weren't you? Well, that's me, Anna Harrison."
Their smiles faded quickly. They thought it was a joke on them. She was used to it—most everyone who wasn’t from around those parts thought the same. That was the other reason the sheriff always called Nick in first.
     "No rule against it in this territory. My father was a lawyer before me, and he didn't have any sons to clerk for him, so I'm carrying on the family profession." She crossed her arms and looked squarely at them, the way she’d learned to do when anybody expected her to simper and blush. "Ask anyone around here…right, Deke?"  She glanced at the deputy, who winked at her.

     

29 comments:

  1. So giddy and excited to see this! Thanks so much, Cheryl and Livia. And Livia, I am still not getting over how gorgeous the cover is. Everyone I've showed it to is just floored by it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, we are so glad to have you with us here at PRP! I truly truly LOVED Courting Anna! Wonderful story, and of course, you had me wondering all the way through how in the world things could work out for them, but you did a great job of bringing everything around right! LOL Congratulations on your wonderful new book!

      Delete
  2. So excited it’s finally out and can’t wait to get my copy!! Congratulations, Cate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene! I'm so thrilled about the whole thing!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to see this on here. I'm sure it'll be the first of many. Can't wait to read it. Congratulations on that first book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the heroine has a profession at a time when women did not often get that opportunity. I wish you every success with your new release, Cate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! I was surprised myself, when I first looked into it, but the first woman lawyer in the US was Arabella Mansfield, in Iowa in 1869! The Equity Club, which was a corresponding society of women lawyers nationwide, had 100 members in 1880 and 200 in 1890. I'll have a blog post on here next month that talks about more of the history!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Cate! Awesome blurb👍🏼 Sounds like a fascinating story. Women with grit are fun to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I loved writing it, and I hope people will love reading it!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your first book, Cate. Isn't it exciting? And you're being published by the best publishers in the game. I'm looking forward to reading Courting Anna. Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting! I'm so glad you're looking forward to it -- hope you love it!

      Delete

  9. I'm so happy for you Cate on the release of your first book. It is so exciting to hold your book for the first time. I've always been fascinated with the legal profession, so I look forward to reading your book. Great premise. And yes, absolutely love your cover...all that royal blue. Livia does fantastic covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, isn't it? I went to a Victorian picnic right after it was finalized, and we printed out some color copies -- everyone went crazy for it! I'm so glad you're looking forward to it, and I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  10. I really like your premise. When researching my current WIP, I found a surprising number of women in professions in the late 1800's, and I love stories about what their lives might have been like. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be writing a blog post for Prairie Rose next month about some of the history, but yes, the first woman lawyer in the US was in 1869 (Iowa), and that just set my imagination going!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations, Cate. This sounds like an interesting and enjoyable read. Best wishes for the release and a successful writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This arrived in my mailbox today (a day earlier than Amazon said, hey, when does that happen?). What a gorgeous cover! And I love the whole idea. I just started reading it and love how you plunge right into the story. Congratulations, pal! Here you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still waiting for mine! I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cate, first let me say congratulations on your first book. I love the premise and look forward to reading this one for sure, especially after reading that excerpt. I adore those woman back then who were fiesty, independant, and determined--it stirs up so many funny antics and quirky things. I love it. And yes, the cover is gorgeous; Livia always does such an awesome job. And Cheryl is a superb editor as well as a great supporter. Wishing you much success with Courting Anna--sure to be a big hit. And welcome to PRP, you'll love it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Beverly! It was so much fun to write, and I hope folks will enjoy reading it even a fraction as much. I'm just absolutely delighted with the whole experience.

      Delete
  15. Cate, very happy for you. The excerpt promises a wonderful story. All the best and keep writing. Doris

    ReplyDelete