Search This Blog

Sunday, July 7, 2019

DREAMER-THAT'S WHAT I AM

Post by Doris McCraw
writing as Angela Raines

Photo property of the author
Do you believe in Kismet, Synchronicity?  On June 27, 2019 a vocal group, Home Free, I am very fond of released a song called 'Dreamer'. Of course my birthday was close to that day and I like to pick my word for the coming year. On top of that, the collection "Hot Western Nights" released on July 4, 2019.

So how does this all fit in? Well, I've decided my word for the coming year is Dreamer. The words to the song just keep rolling around in my head. The first line:  'What will they read on your headstone when you're gone?"  As I stirred these words in my mind, I realized we all are dreamers. The stories we tell are those of people who have and are following their dreams, even if they think they can't achieve them. What will they write on our and our characters headstones?

Fort Union, New Mexico
photo property of author
Another line from the song: "Don't you ever look back with regret, cause a moment is all that you get, and it ain't over yet." I've been able to follow so many dreams, had most of them come true. Life is beautiful, not always easy, not always fair, but beautiful none the less. I realized my stories are about that gift of life.

In my story, 'Duty' in "Hot Western Nights" is about Dan and Miranda, two people who have dreams that they believe they will never realize, so they keep them buried. When they meet, the dreams start to come to life, but will they find fruition? Below is a short excerpt:


Miranda Foster climbed the hill overlooking the ranch her stepfather left her to run for his heirs. Clouds flew across the sky. Standing on the hilltop, she watched a storm building, its track headed toward the ranch house. She didn't begrudge her duty, but by the time her step-brother Byron was old enough to take over, she'd be an old maid.
No one knew she wasn't the owner. It was her step-father's way of keeping the ranch safe. She remembered their conversation. "I know I'm asking a lot of you, but you'll be taken care of."
Miranda thought back on that conversation as she caught movement near the leading edge of the storm. Watching, she saw five specks detach and draw closer. The wind was pushing her back the way she'd come, trying to guide her to safety.
Miranda would not be moved. "You may threaten, cajole, or do me harm, but I will not be swayed from my duty," Miranda sent back to the wind as she waited for the oncoming riders, shotgun in hand. She never left the ranch house without it since the coming of Tate Browning. She stood, a calm determination not to give in.
"A woman can't hold such a place as this," the old man said as he rode up, almost on top of Miranda.
Miranda stood her ground, looking each of the men in the eye. "I've been charged with keeping this land safe, to never sell for any reason. Tell Tate Browning, it's a duty I shall discharge to the best of my ability."
The man glared back, looking for a way to pierce Miranda's armor. The wind whipped by the men and Miranda. Thunder sounded in the distance.
Miranda stood firm as the wind spent its fury. The old man growled, his anger a living thing, pressing on her as was the wind.

So what dreams did you have or have now? I encourage you to Follow them! 
If you haven't already purchased this collection, here is the link:
Amazon ebook

And for those who are wondering what song would affect me so strongly, here is the song/video link. Dreamer

Doris Gardner-McCraw
Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in
Colorado and Women's History
Angela Raines - author: Where Love & History Meet
For a list of Angela Raines Books: Here 
Photo and Poem: Click Here 
Angela Raines FaceBook: Click Here





12 comments:

  1. When I'm feeling a little lost with a story, often a song lyric will give me a nudge in the right direction. If we sit back and relax, then synchronicity can help us. We just have to notice it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Kristy. I've always tried to be 'tuned in', but sometimes the noise gets in the way. This song hit at just the right moment and the rest fell into place. Doris

      Delete
  2. Doris, I've been a dreamer since I was a child and one of my Saturday chores was to dust and clean the house. As I dusted, I couldn't pass a mirror without gazing at myself, but it wasn't vanity. Oh, no, I saw Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty or Snow White, all beloved heroines from books--books that captured my imagination because we didn't have a television. At some point in my 20's I dreamed of becoming a writer. Last year that dream came true as I held my first published book. We need dreams to keep us moving forward. The only advice I can give anyone is never give up on your dream, no matter how long it takes. By the way, I love Home Free--fabulous singers. I can see how that song inspired you. And I'm so happy to have my novella in the anthology with you and the other wonderful ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I was always creating stories, or reading them or having them read to me before I started reading myself. Even though we had a television, I was always making the story I'd just seen 'better'. (Grin). I am happy you followed your dream. You are right, it's never too late and those dreams keep us young.

      I too am thrilled to be in a collection with you. Here's to more of those in the future. "Keep Dreaming". Doris

      Delete
  3. As Steven Tyler sings... DREAM ON, DREAM ON, DREAM ON... Dream until your dreams come true (The caps are to do justice to his signature scream-singing of these lyrics lol). When we cease to dream, we lose hope. When we lose hope, our creative minds shut down. Realistically, and for a myriad of reasons, not all of our dreams are attainable, but dreaming them is inextinguishable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kaye. By the way, I love that Aerosmith song. If it weren't for dreams I'd be a lot less happy than I am now, that's for sure. Dreams are what keep me going, what inspires me. I'm glad we're on the same page with this one. Thanks for your continued support of so many peoples dreams, and of course keep following yours. Doris

      Delete
  4. Doris, I'm looking forward to reading yours as well as all the stories in Hot Western Nights.
    and yes, I too am a dreamer. Growing up I would dream about other places to visit and what I might I find along the way. As a nurse for so many years I tried to encourage and instill hope and dreams for my patients and their families especially the homecare ones with tremendous and scary diagnoses; to give a hope or a dream of getting over the mighty humps or with others help them dream of maintaining their dignity and strong spirit throughout the tougher times. I too, like many little girls dreamed of what my future might hold. Today, I guess I'm still dreamming up the many stories that whisk through my mind and call to me to put them on the screen. I'm also a big fan of Steven Tyler and love that song, DREAM ON--nothing better. Thanks once again ofr a delightful post and wishing much success to all you authors in Hot Western Nights. Oooooo, can't wait to reead them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, I used to stand outside and dream of being taken to another planet. I just had to make sure they told my parents where I was. Otherwise, I would have been fine.

      I agree with you, giving hope to people is so important. So many say you need to be truthful, but that doesn't mean hurtful and killing dreams.

      I'm glad you're still dreaming and putting those stories down. I do like Dream On, but for some reason Dreamer hit me right between the eyes when I heard it.

      I hope you enjoy the stories, and thanks for sharing your story. Doris

      Delete
  5. I've always had vivid dreams, and had a repeated dream as a child which I'm glad receded. I've also found that dreams can lift me out of a funk with a story, and tell me where to take it next. No wonder I get so tired.

    I loved the descriptive language in the excerpt. It was beautifully vivid without being florid. Such skill I can only aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us when it comes to vivid dreaming, and I found I am a lucid dreamer at times. Like you, I see the stories in my head, like watching a movie.

      Also, thank you for the kind words about the excerpt. You truly made my day. Part of that piece came out of a music prompt. Doris

      Delete
  6. I've always been a day dreamer and a night thinker. I can stare at a blank wall and get all up into a story line or a scene. It wasn't such a great thing to do when I was in school. Teachers sent notes home. Luckily my parents took it n stride. I was never punished for my day dreamer habit. Night thinking is another story. It seems I have this tendency to go over everything in my head as soon as I go to bed. Every word I said wrong, every action I thought was not right, it all comes up just when I'm trying to get some sleep. I have to distract myself with watching something on my Kindle so I can rest. But there are times when I purposefully direct my night thinking to focus on a plot problem or work on a scene in a WIP and I often work out my dilemmas with that kind of night thinking.
    So, I get you, Doris. It's all part of the creative process.
    All the best to your corner of the universe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, I think a lot of writers spend time in their heads and staring off into space. I know I was always creating stories from as far back as I can remember.

    I've learned to shut off my night thinking most of the time, but ...

    I appreciate your kind words and I wish you all the best also. Doris

    ReplyDelete