Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2018

AUTUMN'S ON THE WAY! BY CHERYL PIERSON


When I was growing up, I remember looking forward to the first day of school each year. “Back then” we didn’t start back to school in the fall until after Labor Day. In Oklahoma, it was still hot as blue blazes in September, but at least, the evenings and nights were cooling off. I dreaded seeing summer end, but by September, I was feeling the pull to go back to school, see my friends—and I’d never admit it—start learning again!

Jane Carroll, my best friend, and I playing in the sandbox. I was 8 and Jane was 9.

By the time October rolled around, things had definitely become more “fall-like” and the sun had taken on the “autumn slant” as the days grew shorter, as well. My mom used to take note of the seasonal changes very keenly, and I remember her saying, “Well, fall is here.” There was no need to explain—it was in the coolness of the air, the more orange tint of the sun, the shorter days.

Of course, to a child, “fall” meant that Halloween was coming! Back in those days, it was still safe to go door-to-door with friends, all of us together in the crisp night air, a giggling mass of energy all dressed in our finery (most of us with homemade costumes, not store-bought) and those little plastic pumpkins with the handles to carry our “loot” home in. “TRICK OR TREAT!” we’d call out at each door, and our neighbors would always pretend they thought they were giving candy to princesses and pirates, superheroes and witches.

November brought Thanksgiving—a time when we’d usually go to my grandparents’ houses. I was the “lucky” one of all my cousins (and I had 40+ cousins!) because in the small town of Calera, Oklahoma, I had my dad’s parents who lived at one end of town, and my mom’s parents who lived at the other end. Cousins, aunts, and uncles from both sides also lived there, so many of my cousins from both sides of the family went to school with each other and knew one another as friends and fellow sports teammates. Those were simpler times—we could walk all over town without fear of any foul play, and I had grandparents at each end of town, so no matter which cousins I was with, we had somewhere to walk to.


The town of Calera, Oklahoma, year unknown. It was a water stop for trains and was called Cale Switch or Cale Station, but when the railroad wanted to rename it Sterrett, the people insisted on a compromise–and Calera was born. This is the main street of the town–much more lively than it was when we kids were walking it back in the mid-late 60’s and early 70’s.


The big treat was stopping in at the one and only “grocery store”—more like an Old West mercantile store—that was about at the halfway mark through town. It had a glass case with bologna and ham inside and a big slicer that the store owner, Petey, would use to cut your lunchmeat. Then, he’d wrap it in freezer paper and tie it up with twine. Petey’s store also had one of those big chest-type coolers with a sliding top, filled with ice and bottled pop. That was back when a bottle of pop was ten cents or so—and a candy bar could be had for a few pennies more.

There’s nothing like family and Thanksgiving dinner all together to bring “Autumn Fever” to the highest level. Doesn’t Thanksgiving just speak to us of autumn? By that time of the year, even in Oklahoma, the leaves have turned some beautiful rich colors of gold, red, orange, and brown and drifted from the trees. The winds have become colder and more cutting (and that’s saying something here in Oklahoma!) and of course there’s that “fall smell” in the air. And probably that’s one of the things I love most about autumn—the smell. There is nothing like the feeling of being tucked up inside four strong walls with food to eat, a fire going in the fireplace, and a good book to read. And did I mention a dog’s head on my lap? But celebrating fall took on a whole new meaning when we moved to West Virginia. I had never seen colors on the trees like what we saw there--such a wonderful display of nature--and it happens every year!


Rick Burgess is an excellent professional photographer who is a good friend–he specializes in pictures of the natural beauty of “Wild, Wonderful West Virginia” and this is one that was taken at Plum Orchard Lake in the fall. Isn’t it gorgeous? See the link below if you would like to see more of Rick’s wonderful art!


I know a lot of people will think this is strange, but I’ve never been a coffee or hot tea drinker. Yet, in the fall, I DO want something warm to drink—and this is it. This drink is very easy to make and keep on hand—and I haven’t tried making it with any artificial sweetener yet, but this year I’m going to do just that instead of using sugar and see how it turns out. This “friendship tea” is also good to make and give as a gift in a pretty container (that’s how I got it in the very beginning, and I have been so glad someone did that for me so many years ago!)


FRIENDSHIP TEA
This wonderful drink is ready in 5 minutes, and makes 4 cups of the instant mix.

Ingredients:
1 -1 1⁄2cup sugar (or less, to taste)
2 cups instant Tang orange drink
1⁄2cup sweetened iced tea mix powder
1(1/4 ounce) envelope unsweetened lemonade mix
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1⁄2teaspoon ground cloves (or you can also put in whole cloves if you like)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients well and store in an airtight container.
To use, fill a mug with boiling water and stir in 2-3 teaspoons of mix, to taste.
If all you can find is presweetened lemonade, then use the amount of dry mix needed for a 2 -quart pitcher according to the package instructions and leave out the sugar.

This recipe has been around for many years, but this iteration of it came from GENIUS KITCHEN and is close to the one I’ve had in my recipe box for all this time.

I have to admit, by Christmas I’m certainly missing fall, and “Autumn Fever” takes on a new meaning—I want it BACK! As sad as I was to see summer end, that’s how I feel when the winter ice and snow comes—I’m immediately nostalgic for fall!
What do you do in the autumn months? Are you glad to see them come and herald summer’s end? I do read a lot, as I’m sure many of us do here at P&P. Please share any good books you’ve read so we can all build our reading list!


Right now, I'm reading one of Sabrina Jeffries's regency stories--BEWARE A SCOT'S REVENGE--all her stories are sooo darn good you can't go wrong. Next on my list is a wonderful "re-read"-- NOBODY'S DARLING by Teresa Medeiros. Here's the blurb--I know it's wonderful because I read it a good while back but want to enjoy it again!

He always gets his lady…
Billy Darling doesn’t enjoy being a wanted man until the day a duke’s prim and proper granddaughter comes marching into the Tumbleweed Saloon and points her derringer at his heart. Lucky for him, she's a mighty poor shot.

She always gets her man…
Instead of killing him, Esmerelda Fine hires him to find her runaway brother. Billy knows he should turn down her offer. He should resist her charms. But he doesn't. Because there comes a time in every man's life when he's got nothing left to lose...but his heart.


I’d love to hear your childhood memories of fall--and I do hope you’ll try this wonderful “friendship tea” recipe when those autumn winds begin to blow—it’s a sure cure for AUTUMN FEVER!

8 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    I didn't know there was a name for this tea. We just called it 'Tang and Tea'. lol It was probably in the late 1970s when I first encountered this recipe. The recipe I use calls for nutmeg instead of cloves. It is tasty, that's for sure.

    My autumn memories are similar to yours with grandparents living nearby, and that I enjoyed the unworried freedom of being out and about by myself or with a friend. I lived out in the country, so I didn't spend much time in town. I didn't have cousins I was close to, and the ones who lived in town were four siblings that were snooty. lol

    Trick or Treating for me was going to certain houses in town and a couple in the country, and we always ended the evening at my Great Uncle/Aunt's house for hot cocoa and cake. It was great. Thanksgiving was an ordeal for me, because of always spending it with the snooty cousins. lol

    Thanks for taking me on a stroll down childhood memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaye! When I lived in West Virginia, my senior year in high school we had to move there--I taught piano lessons. One of my little students brought me some of that with the recipe. It was called Russian Friendship Tea, and I thought it was the best thing I ever drank in my life. LOL There's another recipe that calls for putting red hots in it--I've not tried that, but sounds like it would be good. I'd forgotten all about red hots until I saw that in the recipe I was looking at.

      Ugh...I'm sorry about your snooty cousins. That's awful. I had a lot of really good cousins I was close to when we'd all get together, and I just wished so much we could see each other more often, but it was usually only during holidays or in the summer.

      I was always thankful for growing up in a small town (after I got away and got some perspective on it) and having that kind of life in the times we had, where we could actually go out and trick or treat with other kids and not have to worry about what houses we went to and of course we would have just DIED to have to have had an adult along! LOL

      One time at Thanksgiving one of my cousins and I stole a whole package of Milky Way candy bars and took them out in the woods and ate them--we didn't know they were for one of our aunt's recipes for a special dessert. OMG! Were we in trouble deluxe--nothing open to go get MORE, and she had to have them. So we did without. But we were sooooo sick anyhow from eating all that candy. LOL

      Ah, yes. Memories! LOL

      Delete
  2. Brought back memories. Not of school, it was a small area and I saw my friends year round. But the colors, my family always took a drive when the leaves turned. Sometimes we'd head east toward the timber in the area. Other times we'd do the river drive along the Mississippi from Hamilton to Nauvoo. It was a special time. Of course at Halloween, my mother would make my costume and we'd head out with our paper sacks and see the neighbors we saw every day. It was fun, then of course it was time to portion out the candy. I just couldn't stand to eat it all at once. LOL Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Doris I had forgot about that. My dad would have me spread the candy out all over the floor, and he'd say, "Let's see now...I will take those peanut butter logs, because I know you don't like those..." LOLLOL When I was little I remember thinking "I DO LIKE THOSE!" LOL But then I felt guilty about having all that candy and those being some of the ones I liked less than the others. LOL He never took them, of course, and just was a big tease. But Mom would say, "You can pick out three pieces tonight."

      Delete
  3. These are such wonderful memories of childhood and the coming of autumn, Cheryl. I look forward to it each year--and this year probably even more than most. Summer has been a sweltering affair this year.

    West Virginia is one of the most beautiful states in this country. The roller coaster drives down its back roads in the fall is so fantastic. Before the interstate came into being we used to go through West Virginia on the way to visit relatives in north central Pennsylvania. I miss those road trips.

    Halloween is my favorite holiday. When else do kids get a chance to dress in costumes and get hordes of candy? Even as a grownup it's fun to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters and see what costumes are popular. I wish I could still do that, but Lily barks so much nobody can talk and she scares the kids. LOL

    Your tea recipe reminds me of Russian tea and the way I could put the dry ingredients together to use instantly. I like the name "Friendship Tea" better though. I should take your recipe and reminisce with some hot tea.

    I always liked how fall was the beginning of fires in the fireplace, the smell of wood and the sounds of popping and sizzling that went on in there--and roasting marshmallows on a bonfire outside. Good times!

    My favorite Halloween candy was licorice and orange jelly beans. Remember the peanut butter taffy candy wrapped in orange and black paper that most kids didn't like--also a favorite. Tops on my Halloween memories were the school Halloween carnivals. They were such great fun. Oh and the county fair that comes every fall.

    I loved the pictures from your childhood and the delightful memories of autumn days from back then. Such a wonderful blog, Cheryl. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, maybe it's old age or nostalgia or something but for the first time in a while I'm looking forward to fall too--just wish winter didn't follow it. LOL

      When we had Embry, we had to put him in the back yard or in the Florida room because he was so unfriendly and big. Should have made him a sign that said "CUJO" so he could have been part of Halloween. LOL

      They call that recipe Russian Tea, too, Sarah--and Russian Friendship Tea and just Friendship Tea. LOL I think most of the recipes are similar for it, and lord is it good!

      Now I never liked licorice, but my mom did. So when I would get licorice for Halloween, I always gave it to her SO GENEROUSLY. LOL I'm sure she had a good laugh about that. Our state fair is every September--that's kind of the "herald" of fall here, because it's usually still pretty warm (summery) but not burning up hot.

      I need to scan in some more pictures to share but just don't have the time it seems. I have a LOT of pictures -- my dad used to take pictures so often and had his own darkroom to develop them. Glad you enjoyed this one of Jane and me. She was such a dear friend--we moved in about a week apart from each other and lived right down the street about 4 houses from one another. They moved when I was in 4th grade and Jane was in 5th and I thought my heart would just break.

      Thanks for stopping by--I sure hope you and Lily and Liberty are doing okay and that the water is going down and things are getting somewhat back to normal.

      Hugs, Sarah!

      Delete
  4. I love fall too! I always looked forward to going back to school. The tea recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kristy that tea recipe is just so addictive. I'm not a coffee drinker, and that is something that never gets old and warms you up and is easy to keep ready.

      Delete