Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Story Telling From Childhood Memories by Sarah J. McNeal May #BlogABookScene





My last three Wilding stories take place in 1958. The world including the United States was a very different place from what it is now. Of course, I was a kid then and life seemed simple and good. We didn’t have a TV then except for the occasional find my mother dug up, so my sister and I didn’t watch the news and probably wouldn’t have watched the news even if we had a TV. We were kids; what did we care about the affairs of the world? Mostly I spent a lot of time in the school playground which was next to our house hanging upside-down from the monkey bars asking God to send me a sign that he saw me.


Pink Cadillac 1958

I do recall the automobiles all had these huge fins protruding from the back. In fact, the automobiles were all huge and had eight cylinder engines. They looked like lumbering dinosaurs even on the Interstate highways that were just being built. Remember the Edsel? The Edsel’s design was so unappealing it was discontinued the following year.

The middle class had arrived and the average yearly income was a whapping $3, 851. Keep in mind also that most moms did not work outside the home in those days, so that was the entire household income. I can’t even imagine it.

The primary world leaders were:
United States: Dwight D. Eisenhower
(Construction on the Interstate, or “emergency interstate” began in 1958)



United Kingdom: Prime Minister - Harold Macmillan 
France:  Charles de Gaulle 

Krushchev and his famous shoe pounding as he hollered, "We will bury you!"

Russia/ Soviet Union: First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union - Nikita Khrushchev (I remember Khrushchev pounding his shoe on the table of a United Nations meeting. How funny was that?)   
Canada: Prime Minister John Diefenbaker
China: Chairman of the People's Republic of China - Mao Zedong  (China entered their great famine in 1958 which lasted until 1961. An astounding 30 million people died through a combination of natural disasters and poor planning.)

Technology by the United States:
The Microchip co-invented by Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments and Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductors later developed and marketed in US by Intel
US Nuclear Submarine " Nautilus " passes under Ice Cap at North Pole
The US Military says it will be possible with satellites orbiting the earth to make detailed maps from space—and we can’t forget the “race for space” between the United States and Russia which began October 4, 1957 when Russia launched the first satellite to orbit Earth, Sputnik. On April 12, 1961, Russia also put a Cosmonaut, Yuri Gagarin, into orbit around the Earth. For a while America dragged behind the Russians, but quickly superseded them and began the first space exploration when Apollo missions were sent to the moon and Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the moon.

Inventions Invented by Inventors in the United States ( or attributed to First Use ) 
Computer Modem USA 
Remote Control USA, Zennith Corporation 
Eisenhower initiated the construction of the “emergency highways” now known as the Interstate Highways to ensure movement of military and supplies across the great expanse of America due to the threat of the “Cold War” between the United States and Russia. 


Popular Films
The Bridge on the River Kwai
South Pacific
Gigi
King Creole
Vertigo

Buddy Holly and the Crickets

Popular Singers
Elvis Presley
Billie Holiday
Ricky Nelson
Frank Sinatra
The Everly Brothers
Ella Fitzgerald
Jerry Lee Lewis

Popular Songs:
“Peggy Sue” by Buddy Holly and The Crickets
Volare” by Domenico Modugno
“Don’t”, “Hard Headed Woman”, and “King Creole” by Elvis Pressly
“It’s Only Make Believe” by Conway Twitty
“Witch Doctor” by David Seville
“All I Have To Do Is Dream” by the Everly Brothers
“Oh Lonesome Me” by Don Gibson
“To Know Him Is To Love Him” by The Teddy Bears

Popular TV Programs
Candid Camera
The Ed Sullivan Show
Come Dancing
The Jack Benny Show

Most of us remember the toys from 1958:


Hula Hoops
Play-Doh
Match Book Cars
Gumby


The last three Wilding stories take place in 1956, 1957, and 1958 with Banjo’s twin sons, Kit and Hank Wilding and their cousin, Kyle Red Sky.  Hank Wilding was the frowning rancher who had sworn off of love in HOME FOR THE HEART. Hank’s twin, Kit Wilding, has war fatigue (PTSD in modern lingo) after World War II, has married the woman he’s always loved and has won the mayoral election for Hazard, Wyoming before everything goes wrong in IT’S ONLY MAKE BELIEVE. In the final story, I DREAM OF YOU, (submitted to Fire Star Press, imprint of Prairie Rose Publications), The Wildings’ cousin, Kyle Red Sky, the Lakota spiritual advisor with special psychic abilities and gas station owner and operator has met the woman he loves in a dream. But when she arrives in Hazard, she brings with her a secret and a deadly past.


The most difficult element to include in the 1950’s era wasn’t what to include, but rather what NOT to include—most significantly, cell phones. We’ve become so used to having the ability to connect with the world no matter where we are, I had to keep in mind the limitations having only land lines to depend upon in emergencies. There were no Interstate Highways with high speed limits to allow for rapid, unimpeded mobility, and no computers to rapidly find answers to questions or receive up to the minute news.

I tried to avoid too much interjection of period information, but still maintain a true 1950’s reality. There was an occasional mention of a popular song, a famous personality, and all phone calls required someone to go to the phone to make that call or answer the phone. Kyle’s gas station was run with a bay and standard equipment of the day. HE pumped the gas--none of this pump your own gas stuff, nd a free oil check and windshield wash was always offered with that gas. When he gave someone a soda, it was in a glass bottle and maintained in a horizontal cooler filled with circulating ice water.

Since 1950’s stories are not all that popular at present, I didn’t want to bring in constant reminders of the era, just the subtle elements. I called the stories “contemporary” rather than shine that big neon sign that said, “Looky, it’s my 1950’s stories!”  I am going to be interested in how readers respond to Kyle’s story when it publishes because I have had such a growing affection for Kyle through most of the  Wilding stories and now he was in leading up to his own story. He has become so near and dear to me. Also, since it is the last story in the Wilding series, I wanted it to be a memorable story. I hope I accomplished that goal.

Do any of you write stories from the 1950’s? If so, how did you handle the promotion for them? Did you call them 1950 era stories or contemporary stories? Why do you think this era is not as popular as earlier historical fiction?



HOME FOR THE HEART

Blurb:

Lucy Thoroughgood has gone and done it now—fallen in love with Hank Wilding, a man she’s known all her life. He’s content with friendship, but Lucy’s heart has flown the coop and she knows she’s in love with the determined bachelor. When she visits him with a proposition—to let the orphans she cares for learn to ride his horses during the summer—he surprises her with one of his own. She must accompany him to the dancing lessons he’s signed up for.

Secretly pleased, she hopes that perhaps this arrangement might lead to more than friendship. But Hank’s loved hard and lost, with his engagement to one of the popular town girls going south two years earlier. He’s sworn to never lose his heart to another—including Miss Lucy Thoroughgood.

A teenage orphan, Chayton, could be the key to thawing Hank’s heart—but danger follows the embittered boy. Will Hank be able to give Chayton the home he yearns for—or will the boy’s past bring only sorrow to those he cares for? When a Lakota premonition becomes reality, Lucy’s life hangs in the balance. Will Hank have the chance to let Lucy know how wrong he was? 

Excerpt:

The crowd grew silent. Tension filled the air with nervous energy. Hank stepped forward with his hands raised. “Now listen to some sense, mister. I don’t care what you took from the house. You’re welcome to whatever you stole as long as you let go of the boy. He hasn’t done anything to hurt you. You let me have the old man and the boy, and I won’t try to stop you from leaving.”

A hollow laugh bellowed from the man. “Like you could stop me anyway. I’m the one with the gun. This boy belongs to me. He’s my son and he’s going with me just in case anybody gets any ideas of comin’ after me…sorta like an insurance policy you might say.” He squeezed Chayton’s neck with his arm so tight Hank thought the boy might pass out from lack of air. “He better learn to mind me though.”

So this is Stephen Grier. Hank glanced at Chayton. The kid is scared out of his mind. He forced himself to remain calm and to speak with quiet authority. “Turn him loose, Grier, or I swear to God I will hunt you down and end your miserable life.”

“You best back off Mister High and Mighty. Now I’m taking this boy, and these here goods what I found, and I might even take this broken down old man with me if you don’t shut your trap.” He pointed the gun at Hank just as Merrilee pulled up in Hank’s blue pick-up truck. The crowd gasped in unison.

There was no time to lose. Hank knew he had to do something or Grier was going to get Chayton. No matter what happened, Hank couldn’t allow him to do that. When Grier’s attention slipped from him to the truck, Hank knew it might be the only moment he had to act. He rushed forward toward Grier. A scream rang out from somewhere behind him. Grier turned Chayton lose and set the sights of the gun on Hank. Just as he pulled the trigger and a shot rang out, a blur of yellow flew across Hank’s vision between him and Grier. Oh God, Lucy!



IT’S ONLY MAKE BELIEVE

Blurb:

Beautiful June Wingate’s perfect marriage is in shambles—and she hasn’t even left the wedding reception! When she overhears two gossips discussing the real reason Kit Wilding married her, June believes there must be some truth to it—after all, things have happened just the way they said. Is her marriage only make believe? Trust is hard for June to accept, and now, her faith in her husband has been broken—along with her fragile heart.

Kit Wilding has loved June since the moment he laid eyes on her—a vision in pink that he couldn’t get out of his mind. Now that he’s married her, he can’t understand the changes that have suddenly turned her secretive and distant. How can he make things right between them when he doesn’t know what he’s up against?

But the tables are turned when June’s father, a pillar of the community, is accused of a crime that brings shame on the Wingate family—along with prison time. Kit Wilding’s not the kind of man to give up easily, but with his budding political career at stake, will he be able to hold his marriage together? Or will he be forced to admit IT’S ONLY MAKE BELIEVE…

Excerpt:
Kit stood, relaxed his stance and reached for her, but she stepped back. He lowered his voice as if he were calming a rambunctious horse. “Listen, I know how some things were tough for you at home. You told me your parents weren’t the warmest or most loving people on the planet. You don’t have much reason to believe what people say, but—”

“Don’t.” June shrunk deeper into her dressing gown avoiding Kit’s attempt to touch her. “Please, don’t bring up all that. I know my trust level isn’t much, but what they said made sense. You wanted to be mayor and my family’s standing in the community and their campaign contribution certainly made a difference. All you had to do was marry me to win the election.”

Kit shook his head. “Not everything that could be true is really true. Surely you have more faith in me than that. It hurts me to think you believe their gossip. Surely you can’t think I’m the kind of man to lie or take advantage of a woman’s love in such a way or you wouldn’t have agreed to marry me. You’re not the kind of woman to take guff from anyone.” He straightened his spine. “And just so you know, I did not accept campaign funds from your father, or any other businessman in town. It put me at a distinct disadvantage to my opponent, but I won’t be obliged to anyone who might compromise my values.”

“I’ve never had a reason to doubt you—not until now anyway.” June looked him dead in the eye. “Just this past summer at the charity ball you wanted to break up with me. You said I made you worry too much about my safety that you couldn’t bear to see me take chances. But you must have really meant was that you ceased to love me and wanted nothing further to do with me—until the city council told you they wanted a married man for their mayor.” She shrugged off his hand when he tried to draw her to him. “So you suddenly decided you couldn’t live without me, proposed, and wanted to marry me sooner rather than later. How very convenient, Kit. As soon as the word was out that you were marrying Albert Wingate’s daughter, you won the election by a landslide. Of course you must have felt honorable enough to follow through with our marriage, but that’s not the kind of marriage I thought I was going to have.”

And my last Wilding story:

I DREAM OF YOU

A Dream…A Kiss… And Deadly Secrets

Blurb:
Kyle Red Sky dreamed of the woman with fire in her hair, but when she comes to town, something dark and dangerous follows her. He wants to help her, but she is reclusive, avoids men, and the scarf she always wears around her neck tells him she harbors a dark secret.

Mia Beckett is a survivor. Finally, she has found sanctuary in a small western town far from danger where no one knows her or her past and she intends to keep it that way. But she can’t forget the man she saw once in a dream who told her the paths they walked were destined to meet. However, when she meets Kyle Red Sky and realizes he is the man from her dream, she knows, if the dream becomes a reality, he may die.

Excerpt:
Kyle kicked open the door of his mother’s former dress shop despite the sign that read, “No Men Allowed.” The raging fire upstairs in the private quarters made this an emergency, certainly enough to ignore that sign. Smoke began to fill the shop as he raced up the stairs calling out the name of the new shop owner. “Miss Beckett! Miss Mia Beckett, where are you?”

As he reached the landing of the second floor, he heard someone cough nearby. With the wet blanket wrapped around him he rushed toward the direction of the cough until he found the woman lying on the floor almost unconscious from smoke inhalation. As soon as he removed the wet blanket he wore and wrapped her in its protective layer, he scooped her up in his arms to carry her away from the flames and smoke. The scarf she wore fell away from her neck and her head lolled back against his chest to reveal a thin, straight scar that ran all the way across her throat from her left ear to her right. It wasn’t an old scar, most likely it was no more than two or three months in the past. She attempted to raise a hand as if to cover her throat and replace the silk scarf. He’d always seen her wear a scarf of some description or another around her neck since her arrival in town. Now he knew all those scarves were not her unique sense of fashion, but her desire to hide the scar. She was a woman attempting to keep a secret.





Sarah J. McNeal is a multi-published author who writes diverse stories filled with heart. She is a retired ER and Critical Care nurse who lives in North Carolina with her four-legged children, Lily, the Golden Retriever and Liberty, the cat. Besides her devotion to writing, she also has a great love of music and plays several instruments including violin, bagpipes, guitar and harmonica. Her books and short stories may be found at Prairie Rose Publications and its imprints Painted Pony Books, and Fire Star Press and Sundown Press. She welcomes you to her website and social media:






20 comments:

  1. I remember the 50's so well; and you have done an outstanding job of making them "come alive" for me. Thank you! You write compelling stories that really touch the heart; and in a good way. Love all your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kit, I don't know what to say in response to your wonderful, kind words. You, my friend, have made my week...maybe even my month. Thank you! I so appreciate your comment and support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, what a trip down memory lane! I love the 50's, even though I wasn't born until 1957. So much great music and movies--SIGH. I really enjoy your stories, no matter what time period they take place in. I've always thought how insightful it was for General Eisenhower to see the need for the interstate. What would we do without it NOW? I'm looking forward to reading your latest story in-depth and getting it out there. I love the Wildings, you've really created a large, wonderful family in them--and I've no doubt that you'll be doing something equally as fantabulous with your future stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, thank you for continued support and all the kind things you have to say about my work. You brighten up my day.

      I was a kid during the 50's so part of my love of that time period is probably because I was safe, secure, and under the protection of my parents. People seemed so much more connected then. You talked to them and they made eye contact and actually remembered what you said.

      I'm not certain where I'm headed after I finish working on the Legends of Winatuke books. It's taken months on the first book, but I'm finally seeing the end in sight. I AM concerned about changing genres after writing western romance for so long.

      Thank you so much for taking the time to come by and lift my spirits. I really appreciate your kindness.

      Delete
  4. Sarah,

    Love love love your Wildings. You are my inspiration for wanting to write a family series. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye, are you writing a family series? Is it western?

      You are so kind. THANK YOU! And thank you for your guidance on Twitter. I'm still working on my media skills.

      I really appreciate you coming by.

      Delete
    2. Sarah,

      I *want* to write a series. So far, I haven't come up with a viable plot for a true series. The closest I have is a really rough work in progress that is arranged in episodes. There is one character who influences the lives of several women (in a good way) and the episodes are the stories of these women. The stories are set in the west.

      I still get flustered with social media, so you're not alone in your on-going learning. *grin*

      Delete
    3. You've put serious thought into writing a series. Is there a continuing theme that will run through the series, or is each story a stand alone book?

      I can only deal with a small number of media platforms. Although I have LinkedIn, I don't really know what to do with it and, honestly, I don't have enough time to spend on social media or I'd never get any writing done. Once I get on the internet, my motivation to write evaporates and I end up socializing instead of working. I finally decided to write before I get on the internet which isn't as easy as it may sound. I am super curious about what everyone else is up to and I can't always concentrate on my work until I've checked it out. One day I hope I get used to the hashtags and other tools on Twitter. You really helped us all out when you explained Twitter.

      Delete
  5. Sarah, Oh, yes, what an awesome trip down memory lane indeed! Loved all you included. My family were a moderate NYS income family (mom and dad both worked) but we had one of the first TV's in the 's moving from RI to NYS. Oh those TV shows were such a must, from comedy or game shows, to cowboy and animal shows. Gosh we thought they were so terrific back then. And the music in the 50's and 60's, well, I enjoyed all types back then and still do. Thank you so much for bringing back some of the memories I'd forgotten. I loved all the Wilding stories and know I'll love this upcoming, I Dream of You. YES! As for Home For the Heart and It's Only Make Believe--couldn't put them down. Of course I adore all your emotional and enjoyable stories with such strong characters. Keep them coming, and know that we all will miss the Wildings. As you know I don't write in the 50's, but I do have one from that time that I wrote years ago and maybe sometime I'll get it out of the forgotten bin and see what I can do with it. You've revived my juices. By the way 2 years ago went to the Ogunquit (ME) Playhouse and watched The Buddy Holly Story, and last yr. Million Dollar Quartet and also years ago saw Jersey Boys (Four Seasons). I can never get enough of the 50's and 60's. Gosh, and I can remember giving buttons for Ike during his campaign when he visited our city. Oh what cherished memories from that time. Wishing you much success with all your upcoming stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Bev, thank you for all those compliments. I am so happy you liked Home For The Heart and It's Only Make Believe. I like writing in the 1950's era, but not many readers seem to like that era.

      I am going to miss my Wildings. It's like waving goodbye to my friends. I feel the overwhelming need to run back and hug them all one more time.

      I still have an "I Like Ike" button from way back when. I love the "Mid-Modern Century" era. I think it is so filled with good memories of my life with my parents that, when I miss them so much I can hardly breathe, writing about that time makes me feel better.

      So, hidden away somewhere in the dark recesses of your home you have a 1950's era story? You should take that thing out and see what's what, Bev.

      Believe it or not, I have all those old 50's--and 60's music on CD's. I have so many CD's I finally took my nephew's advice and copied them all on an external hard drive and on my computer's media player. I stored all the CD's except for a few until I feel like I can let go of them (which might be never. LOL)

      I really appreciate you coming by to read my blog and comment, Bev. You are such a great support. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Sarah,
    Since the '50s were before my time, this was a fun blog to read! Such a great era. You have such a nice, smooth writing-style. Loved the excerpts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, what era did you grow up in? Do you miss those days?
      Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. Sarah, what a trip down memory lane. I found myself nodding as I pulled up my own memories of that time.

    The books sound so good, and I wish you the best, but will miss this family I've come to love. Personally, I don't know that I would promote as a time period, but a story of timelessness, as love and loss are timeless. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, I believe you're right about not promoting the 1950's time period. I tried using "contemporary", but I thin that gets misinterpreted as a modern day story, which it isn't. So, I haven't been calling it anything. But since you mentioned the word "timeless", I'm considering using that word in promoting these last 3 books. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. You know, I've found 2 books I think based in/around the 50s and I LOVED them. It's not a time frame most accept the challenge of writing in, but I think there's so many good stories that can come from that time frame. Now that I know you took on that challenge, and as I haven't read *any* of the Wilding stories, I'm looking forward to discovering them.

    I remember growing up listening to and watching Elvis movies and other shows/music from that time period -- fun memory trigger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle, I think Col. Parker did Elvis a terrible injustice. King Creole was the last of his "good" movies where he actually showed some good acting skills and great potential. Of course, we all loved his music and the chance to see him on the big screen, but he was disenchanted with his movie career--or so I understand.

    The Wildings series starts off with a time travel novel to 1910 with Harmonica Joe's Reluctant Bride. I loved the streetwise teenager, Banjo, in that story and had to write about him in For Love Of Banjo, a WWI story. Before I knew it, I was writing about the next generation and progressing through time until I got to the last children of the original characters in the 1950's. The 1950's was easy since it's the time in which I grew up...just a bit of research was needed.

    Thank you so much for coming by, Michelle. I really do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fascinating. Great excerpt. Not being American the 50's seem both different and familiar as we see this in movies but never really experienced it. An iconic period deserves great stories and you've certainly given us that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C.A., westerns are, of course, iconic American stories, but I watch many English stories on PBS as well as read them. "Grantchester", the mystery series on PBS takes place in the 1950's. I have loved that series. "Sherlock Holmes" is a timeless series of books that transcends the generations.

      I don't know exactly why the 1950's is not appealing to readers. Maybe it's history that is too close to our modern day time in which some of us can reminisce, while others just consider the time insignificant. I don't really know.

      Thank you for coming and for your kind remarks.

      Delete
  11. Sarah, I'm late joining in on the comments--there just aren't enough hours in a day to see and read and do all that has to be seen and read and done lol. I was blown away by the depth of your research and all the facts and pictures. I love the 50's and especially the 60's. It was a different time, a simpler time (looking back). A lot of progress has been made over the decades, but it makes me sad that my grandson will never experience what I enjoyed as a child. Thank you so much for writing this beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can truly relate to the time limitations, Elizabeth. I often show up late to comment on blogs. The thing is, you DO comment, and I think showing up in support of fellow authors is important for solidarity. We are kindred spirits.

      I'm certain today's kids will have their own nostalgic memories of their childhoods. They will not have the "free range" childhoods that we had or enjoy vast stretches of wilderness except in national parks (thanks to the foresight of Teddy Roosevelt), but they will have special memories of childhood.

      I resented that Pop didn't want us to have a TV. I wanted to watch Disney and Bonanza, but I look back now and have gratitude because my parents spent so much time with my sister and me. So, even though TV could have been a distraction and taken up a large portion of my childhood, it didn't because of my parents' good ideas.

      If I had a child in today's society, I would have "no screens time" with them. I would spend a hour or so every day where we did things together. I'd try to make supper a meal we all share each day and talk about ideas and experiences. I'm probably being unrealistic. I'm trying to imagine kids coming to a meal without their faces in a phone. Sometimes I look around the table at our family dinners and, instead of conversations, everyone is glued to a phone...sadly, even my older sister. They are present, but not truly "present."

      I'm so glad you did get the time to visit my blog, Elizabeth. I appreciate your kindness and your support.

      Delete