Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Should old acquaintance be forgot... by Kaye Spencer



2018 is just around the corner. Only eighteen days away, in fact. While I don't have traditions attached to seeing the old year out and the new year in, a good many people around the world will sing a rousing rendition of Robert Burns' Auld Lang Syne in the midnight hour as an optimistic welcome to the New Year and as a sentimental tribute to the Old Year.

But did you know that Robert Burns didn't write the poem for which he is well-known? He wrote down the lyrics to an old Scottish folk song and added to it, which is not unlike Francis Scott Key repurposing the tune of an English tavern ballad then adding the lyrics that became the Star Spangled Banner.

According to the website, "Poems for the New Year", Burns wrote this in a letter to a friend:

“There is an old song and tune which has often thrilled through my soul. You know I am an enthusiast in old Scotch songs. I shall give you the verses on the other sheet... Light be the turf on the breast of the heaven-inspired poet who composed this glorious fragment! There is more of the fire of native genius in it than in half a dozen of modern English Bacchanalians.”

Another tidbit from this website explains, "Though the history of the authorship of the poem is labyrinthine and disputed, Burns is generally credited with penning at least two original stanzas to the version that is most familiar to revelers of the New Year."

Here are the first two, familiar, stanzas as Burns recorded them:

Auld Lang Syne by Robert Burns

    Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    And never brought to mind?
    Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    And auld lang syne!

    Chorus.-For auld lang syne, my dear,
    For auld lang syne.
    We’ll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
    For auld lang syne.

So, from me, in southeastern Colorado, to you, wherever you may be on New Years Eve, here is a bagpipe presention of Auld Lang Syne performed by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.


Until next year,

Kaye Spencer



Website/Blog- http://www.kayespencer.com
Instagram - kayespencer
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/kayespencer
Pinterest - http://www.pinterest.com/kayespencer
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kayespencer23
Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/author/kayespencer
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/kayespence
Prairie Rose Publications - http://prairierosepublications.com/
YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/kayespencer?feature=mhee

References:
Poems for the New Year - https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/text/poems-new-year
Robert Burns - http://www.robertburns.org/
Image: Morguefile.com (by 5demayo)

22 comments:

  1. Kaye, What a delightful and interesting blog and I loved the video, those bagpipes mesmorize me--lovely. I've been to Scotland once and adored the people and beauty of the land. Went to Robbie Burns home and slept in an castle, but didn't go into the highlands other than just the edge--darnit. Hopefully next time. Thanks, and here's wishing you a ver Happy holiday season and a joyous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly,

      Highlands, castles, the scenery... *sigh* I would love to visit Scotland (all of the British Isles), but the lure of long distance traveling has lost its luster. Maybe someday... *wink* Happy holidays to you, as well.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful video of the rendition of that song. Thanks so much, and I wish a happy new year ahead of us--once we enjoy Christmas first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zina,

      I understand what you mean by enjoying Christmas first. It seems that Thanksgiving to Christmas to the New Year all blends into one long anticipatory celebration. It's a wonderful time of year, but it can be mentally and physically exhausting all the same. Happy holidays to you!!!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating and love me some bagpipes. I love all the unique tidbits you find and share. Happy New Year and enjoy Christmas and the Holidays. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris,

      I love those bagpipes, too--hauntingly evocative and melodious. Maybe the sound reaches us at a primal level. Happy holidays to you, too.

      Delete
  4. Bagpipes and sad songs -- the heritage of Scotland and Ireland. Always brings a tear.

    Here's a "cup of kindness" (in this case: Jack Daniels) to all for a better 2018.

    Thank you for an excellent post, Kaye Spencer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. skgabhann,

      "Bagpipes and sad songs -- the heritage of Scotland and Ireland". You summed it up perfectly. Danny Boy and White Cliffs of Dover are two additional songs that pluck the heartstrings.

      I'll lift my 'cup of kindness' in the form of Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky right along with your Jack Daniels in wishing everyone a joyous and prosperous New Year.

      Delete
  5. Kaye,
    I love this song and didn't know about its history. And the rendition you shared was wonderful. Happy Holidays and Happy 2018!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy,

      Happy holidays and a great 2018 to you, too. *hugs*

      Delete
  6. Kaye, what an interesting bit of information re this song so beloved for celebrating the passing of the old and greeting the new year. I was fortunate to visit Scotland three times while living in England and it lived up to all my expectations. I wish you and all who are reading a joyous and blessed holiday season and a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every New Year's Eve, Guy Lombardo and His Orchestra would ring in the new year with this. Ah, memories.

    Merry Christmas, Kaye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,

      Yes, I remember that. When I was growing up, I spent most New Year's Eves with my grandpa who lived just down the road. We'd listen to the radio or watch the festivities on one of the three channels on his rabbit eared black and white tv. *grin* Then the midnight shift change whistle would blow in town at the sugar beet factory and that's when my grandpa and I would shoot off a round on a couple of .410s. Ahh... the memories, as you said. Happy Holidays to you.

      Delete
  8. This is so interesting. I didn't know the history of the song--and I love that rendition you posted. I would love to play the bagpipes but I fear I don't have the "wind" for it these days. LOL

    Hope you have a wonderful 2018, Kaye. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,

      I love the bagpipes, too, but I'm absolutely sure all I would be able to do is make them squawk to high heaven. lol Here's to a fabulous 2018 right back at 'ya. *hugs*

      Delete
  9. As far back as I can remember, I've loved the Highlands, castles, and the bagpipes. I think in another lifetime I must have been a Scottish lassie...hopefully the Laird's beloved daughter, not the poor kitchen scullery maid . Scotland has always been on my bucket list, but I doubt it will get checked off, so I simply enjoy Scotland vicariously through books, videos and music such as this. Thanks for posting this and have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth,

    I, too, would love to visit Scotland, but it's not likely to happen. Thank you for stopping in to comment. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ell, Kaye, I guess that's what dreams or the Internet are for...and a comfy armchair, lol. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  11. Ah, the farewell song. Sad, but loved by all--except maybe a few English Bacchanalians. Ha! Enjoyed the informative blog. Thanks Kaye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a sad song that reminds us that time is the one thing we can't make more of, so we should make the most of the time we have. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This song reminds me of those people I loved the most who live only in my heart now and it makes me feel sorrowful.

    I have played it on the violin and, although I do have the music for bagpipes, I have never played it on my pipes. I copied the URL for this video. Thank you for that.

    I wish you a marvelous and memorable Christmas, Kaye, and I apologize for getting here late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      You're not late. Any time you stop by is the right time. *hugs* I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, too.

      Delete