Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Writers Are A Dotty Lot by @JacquieRogers #historicalromance


Writers are a dotty lot. Even the ones who try to act cool. I bet not one single Prairie Rose author will disagree.

You see, we have these people living in our brains and they do the darnedest things. Whether we have the authorly bent or not, we’re forced to write their stories, else the men in white coats would whisk us away. Some days, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

Did you ever wonder how characters come out of our heads and make stories? Most of us have no idea—they’re just there.

I’m in the early process of creating three stories right now—a novel, the fifth in my Hearts of Owyhee series, a short story for Prairie Rose Press, and a novella for my Muleskinners series. Of the three, I’m acquainted with the characters in the Muleskinners best, so they’re the quietest. In a manner of speaking.

Okay, so that’s not true. The first story, Muleskinners: Judge Not, was published in Wolf Creek, Book 6: Hell on the Prairie. It’s in Elsie’s first-person point of view. The second story is her brother Zeb’s. He wants to tell it in his first-person point of view, but Elsie thinks it should stay in hers, since she’s the star of the show. Zeb says the only reason she’s the star is because she hogs the stage, and points out that he has the gift of gab, not her. She then says that if he tells the story, it’ll be a full-blown novel and not a novella.

I’m not sure who’s going to win that argument, but at least that story has some semblance of a plot. No title yet, though. Look for Zeb’s story, however it’s told, sometime in May—unless they stop arguing and I can get to it now.

The short story for Prairie Rose Publications’ Lassoing the Groom is nebulous at best. I have four or five female characters who all insist they should get the lead part. If they knew who I had in mind for the male lead, there’d be a dozen of ’em lined up, so I’m not saying. But he’s a bad boy. A very, very baaaad boy.


He’s been yammering in my ear, too. Frankly, I’m gonna have to lasso him myself because he isn’t a bit interested in starring in this story or any other. He has places to go and trains to... well, never mind, and he’s not keen on a high profile. But man-oh-man, you should see the shoulders on that fellow. Sigh.


I’m also in the process of defining the characters for my next novel, Much Ado About Mustangs. The hero is no stranger—Josh McKinnon is Kade’s (Much Ado About Miners) brother. So he’s been around, and he got shot in the arm the last book, so he’s still recovering at the beginning of this one. Josh is a great guy, which means I’ll have to throw a few obstacles in his way. One of them is Lady Pearl Montford. Yes, methinks a good time will be had by all, except maybe Josh and Pearl—but hey, it’s a romance.

My story in Hearts and Spurs, A Flare of the Heart, began when I saw a picture of an 1880s woman boarding a stagecoach. Hmmm, that bustle. Wouldn’t it get in the way? And wouldn’t those of us with oversized cabooses love it if bustles were the rage today? Because I wouldn’t need one at all. And what if the heroine got stuck?

I’m not kidding—the whole story came from that one thought, right along with the hero, Ross Flaherty. He’s sworn off women because they’re too delicate. Celia Yancey and her bustle come along, bringing a passel of trouble with her. Yes, we had fun. I hope you do, too.

What is it about a character that makes you remember her/him long after you’re finished with a book? Comment and win a Kindle copy of Sleight of Heart. No, I haven’t mentioned it, but it also has a bunch of characters that kept me hopping.

I'll also be giving away a copy of Much Ado About Miners to a subscriber of my newsletter, The Pickle Barrel Gazette.  And for a good time, join the crazy crowd at Pickle Barrel Bar & Books on Facebook.

26 comments:

  1. I disagree! Not because I diverge from your proposition that writers are a dotty lot, but because I enjoy being disagreeable. And I have a reputation to uphold, after all. ;-)

    Ross and Celia are too much fun, thanks in no small part to the way your wit absolutely shines in everything you write. I always looks forward to your stories.

    I'm excited that we'll have stories together in LASSOING A GROOM. Now, if I can just cut an unwilling hero from the herd doing their darndest not to become my latest character-assassination victim.... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tex, you are one contrary cuss, and dotty, too. Lassoing a Groom will prolly explode with the both of us in there, especially since there are few authors to water down the... well, never mind. And those danged heroes--don't know why they're so stubborn, but they're no match for the two of us. We'll get 'em good. I reckon the more they balk, the more grief we'll give 'em.

      Delete
  2. Jacquie--You're one busy woman! I think there's medication for that. :-) As for memorable characters--if I could figure out why I love one author's over another, then I'd have that magic bullet and could write fantastic heroes the rest of my life. I think point-of-view can be a powerful thing. I'm currently writing a story--a contemporary--from only the heroine's POV. And, one reason, is that I like revealing the hero through her eyes, through his actions. I think that creates some distance, and hence some mystery, to him. But he keeps trying to break through, and I've several moments of crisis as to whether to allow it. So far, no. That's my third no, and I'm sticking to it. At least until the next go-round.
    Great post! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, my guess is he won't give up that easily. Better arm yourself with a key of chocolate and a big sombrero. Stick to yer guns, girl. I guess we'll see who comes out on top. Hmmm, that didn't sound right.

      Delete
  3. Jacquie, I loved Celia's bustle, too! LOL I do get tired of heroines all having to be the willowy type. Really did love your stories in both of the anthologies, and we are so, so glad to have you with us here at Prairie Rose Publications, dear friend! Can't wait to see what you "lasso" up for the summer anthologies!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tickled to be a wrangler in the PRP herd! I've been in other anthologies and there's always a story or two that sorta makes me cringe--but not in either of the PRP anthologies. Great reading, all up and down the trail. I still don't have a story for LAG (something wrong with that acronym) yet, but my characters are yammerin' so something will happen soon. ☺

      Delete
  4. This was so much fun, but scary also, for those characters they keep coming. Just finished the story in Hearts and Spurs and loved it. Stayed up late to read it. Best on all the stories that your 'people' are bothering you about. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris, it's generally best to let the characters talk themselves out, then step in and set them on their way. Of course, you've gotta fake them out and pretend it's their own idea or they won't go. That's when you hornswaggle them with bad guys and tornadoes. ☺ And thanks for the compliment. Celia and Ross said thanks, too. They're busy with the pigs, though, so sent a message.

      Delete
  5. Well, I certainly got a few laughs from your post today, Jacquie. Lordy, sounds like you got a brain explosion going on--or maybe just skizophrenic. LOL I love the whole bustle on your butt idea. You're a trip, Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, Brain Explosions R Us. As I said, if we didn't write this stuff down, they'd put us on medication. Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy all the tales in the anthology. I certainly enjoyed your Wilding story!

      Delete
  6. With a character named Celia Yancey, how could I not read? It's beyond me why the bustle ever came to be, and particularly why women liked them. Some day, I'm going to research and write about something I read long ago, and that is women in the days of many skirts, hoops, and/or bustles ended up with bladder infections and maybe more--because it was so much trouble to do your business, they just held it for hours and hours. This just irritated me silly. Good post, as usual. Jacquie--you're unequal in the humor department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About the name...

      One of the ladies at the Pickle Barrel wanted me to name a hero "Yancey" because her late husband loved that name and wanted to name a son that. They had two daughters, so neither of them got the name. I told her why I couldn't name a hero that, but said I'd use it, and it seemed like a good last name for the heroine. Then Simon and Garfunkel came on with "Cecelia." I love the song but didn't want to use the whole name. Then you posted on the Amazon forum and, well, I stole it. So I'm not sayin' you have a big butt, but I love your name. And that's how I ended up with Celia Yancey.

      I've read a little about the health issues caused by corsetting, too, and have wondered about it. I'd love to read what you find out, especially since your background is in science.

      Delete
  7. Jacquie, I can certainly relate to these characters that come into our heads and keep us awake at night and bug us to death. And they definitely have a mind of their own. If they don't want to do something that WE think they should they bow up and dig in their heels. There's no way on earth to make them conform to our way of thinking. The characters that have stayed in my head the longest and don't seem a bit inclined to leaving anytime soon were Duel McClain and Jessie Foltry from my very first book, Knight on the Texas Plains. But then I'm not surprised because they sprang from a true story that happened to me. Very special book people for sure.

    Congratulations on all your upcoming books. WOW! You simply amaze me. Wishing you tons of success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Linda! Sometimes they're a royal pain in the patootie. Every time I've tried to manipulate a character, they go on strike at the end of chapter 2. Then nothing can go on until I can coax them to let me know what they want. My worst one was Daisy in Much Ado About Marshals. She wouldn't talk at all and made me guess. It took about six tries before I guessed right, and then she just laughed and laughed. Ornery wench.

      Yep, those special characters live on. Duel and Jessie might have given you quite a ride, but they'll ride the river with you.

      Delete
  8. Good heavens, characters become so real I mourn when I'm finished with them LOL. Ahab Perkins the outlaw appeared in a number of my books and gets redeemed finally. Aw, miss the guy. Congrats on all the wonderful stories a'brewing, Jacquie! I know we all are in for tons of good reads. xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Tanya. I'm having trouble getting into the other stories because Kade and Iris are still in my head from Much Ado About Miners. It takes me a little while to recover. Other writers can go from one book right on to the next, and I can do a lot of preliminary work on the next book, but my head's not in it until one of the characters takes the reins.

      Delete
  9. Hi everyone, just stopped by to see what one of my favorite authors was up to tonight, Jacquie, lol and to tell everybody how awesome she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! ♥ You're pretty awesome yourself. ☺

      Delete
  10. Jacquie, I was nodding my head and chuckling as I read your entertaining post. While driving the car, I've missed many a turn because I've been distracted by my characters yakking at me! Many happy writing trails ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! No one likes me to drive anymore and when I do, they are constantly reminding me where to turn just in case my mind has drifted off to the Old West. Of course, the whole situation could be avoided if they'd just brainstorm with me, but it seems as though regular people like to talk about weather and sports and such. It's a mystery.

      Delete
  11. You know I already have SLEIGHT OF HEART, so don't count me in the giveaway. What about a character makes him or her stay with me is that Jaquie Rogers created the character and plot. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, you're such a sweetie, and I could say the same about your books--your characters are always memorable and stay with me like old friends.

      Delete
  12. Jacquie, you're the queen of humorous western romance! I loved finding out how some of your characters came to life. The hero and heroine of my current WIP have been yammering at me over the holidays to get going on their story again, so I share your dottiness. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Lyn. You better listen to those characters--thing of it is, we get even dottier if we try to push them away. "I'm too busy," you say. "Then I'll show you," they say, and do exactly that. It's frightening.

      Delete
  13. Loved it, Jacquie. I've experience some of what you were talking about, with characters ruling my head and telling me what t write. And, yes, I'm quite dotty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you're dotty. If you weren't, you would be now after satisfying 16 people with the Rawhide 'n Roses cover you created. LOL. Great job!

      Delete