Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

WESTERN READING FOR THE YOUNGER SET by CHERYL PIERSON

There’s been some discussion about how to get younger readers interested in western books and I’d like to show everyone what James and Livia Reasoner have been working on.

James and Livia just had a book for Middle Grade Readers released through Painted Pony Books. It’s called THE PHANTOM RANGER AND THE SKATEBOARD GANG, and it’s for Middle Grade Readers, ages 9-12. It’s an excellent story about a young girl, Codi Jackson, who solves the mystery of the "skateboard gang”—a group of kids who are terrorizing the local mall by stealing purses. Codi does this with the help of her great-great-great grandfather, Cody Jackson. Did I mention…he’s a ghost? It’s great reading and would make a wonderful gift for any young reader!



Here’s the blurb: Codi Jackson and her father have been forced to move again. Codi’s getting used to being the “new girl” in her fifth grade class—but that doesn’t mean she has to like it. Can’t life just be normal? With her mother out of the picture and her father working odd shifts as a police officer, friends are important—as long as they’re not the wrong kind. When Codi and a classmate, Keith Wright, are assigned to work on a history project, Codi has to make some hard decisions about her popularity in her new school. But everything changes when Codi picks up an old Texas Rangers badge that belonged to one of her ancestors and he appears right before her eyes! Her great-great-great-grandfather says he’s come to help her, but how? And how is she going to explain the ghost of her long-ago Gramps to her history project partner and her father?



Here’s where the phantom appears to Codi for the first time. I love the way he’s likable enough that he doesn’t scare the socks off of Codi, but still, who wouldn’t be a little frightened? Codi’s heart for adventure shines through and allows her to accept her ancestor and get to know him (that’s where the history part comes in!)

The badge started to feel warm. No, not warm, Codi realized. It was actually getting hot. She dropped it. "Whut in tarnation?" Codi gasped at the strange voice. She looked up, and her mouth fell open in shock. Her eyes grew wide as she pressed back against the headboard of her bed. Patches crouched and let out an angry hiss. A man was standing at the foot of Codi's bed. A man with a short white beard and a big white hat...

GIVEAWAY! James and Livia are giving away a signed copy of THE PHANTOM RANGER AND THE SKATEBOARD GANG to one commenter--not just any old copy--but a signed print copy of this exciting Middle Grade Reader. Leave a comment, and be sure to check back to see if you are the lucky winner.

You can get it here--in print or in digital formats! http://www.amazon.com/The-Phantom-Ranger-Skateboard-Gang/dp/149424893X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388897191&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Phantom+Ranger+and+the+Skateboard+Gang

Got something to submit to PAINTED PONY BOOKS? Here's the website: http://paintedponybooks.yolasite.com/

16 comments:

  1. Would love this book for my grandkids!

    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Check back later to see if you won.

      Delete
  2. This is the kind of book I'd have love when I was that age... though I might not have known what a skateboarder was. My son will though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really amazed what the skateboarders can do with those wheeled boards. I imagine I would do a lot of falling. Thank you for coming and comment.

      Delete
  3. Having written for YA, I applaud your story! Sounds fun....and what boy doesn't love skateboards????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail, it was certainly fun to write. Any who doesn't love ghosts? Although if my great-great-great grandfather showed up in my bedroom, I think I'd be screaming.

      Delete
  4. This book certainly appeals to the fun in all of us. Best of luck with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Livia, I really loved Codi. She was pretty darn cool about her gr gr gr grandfather! I really did enjoy this story and I'm hoping there'll be more of these. Y'all did a great job on this!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still say if my great-great-great grandfather showed up in my bedroom, I'd scream like a little girl. Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  6. My 9 year old is a bit of a reluctant reader and I am always looking for books that will appeal to him. This sounds like a book he would love! Thank you for the opportunity to win a signed copy!!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are too many distractions for children these days. I hope your son does find some books he likes. As a child I loved books, and luckily my daughters do, too. Thank you for commenting and good luck.

      Delete
  7. The winner using Random.com is Belinda. If you'll send me your mailing address, I'll get this right out. livia@flash.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to be late. This book sounds terrific and I'm gonna Kindle it. I too am now writing YA and am planning a Painted Pony series set here in California with some of our Chumash history and yes, some paranormal too. I look forward to reading this book, Livia and James. I know it'll inspire me. Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your YA, Tanya. I really enjoyed your story "Open Hearts" in the soon to be released HEARTS AND SPURS.

      Delete
  9. Hey there Cheryl,
    I saw you post at Cowboy TV. I haven't read your books yet, but I do love to read. I would like to pick up some copies of your books. I love to read great western stories. Thank you for letting me know about them. I have posted your to my Google account and given you a shout out on facebook too. Happy Trails to you.
    Barbara Foster

    ReplyDelete