Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Find A Rainbow

Post by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Raines



In addition to April being National Poetry Month, April 3, 2022, is also National Find a Rainbow Day. I do like the idea of a day devoted to rainbows. To me, they have always been calming. We've all heard the story of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. To me, the gold is the rainbow itself. 

Rainbows also have inspired poets through the years. Below are just a couple of examples. 

In time of silver rain
The earth puts forth new life again,
Green grasses grow
And flowers lift their heads,
And over all the plain
The wonder spreads

  Of Life,
  Of Life,
  Of life!

In time of silver rain
The butterflies lift silken wings
To catch a rainbow cry,
And trees put forth new leaves to sing
In joy beneath the sky
As down the roadway
Passing boys and girls
Go singing, too,

  In time of silver rain When spring
  And life
  Are new.

by Langston Hughes (1947)

and
My heart leaps up when I behold 
   A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began; 
So is it now I am a man; 
So be it when I shall grow old, 
   Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.
by William Woodsworth (1802)

Of course, no post about rainbows would  be complete without Kermit

So on this Find a Rainbow Day, please find your rainbow, write a poem about it, a short story, or just your thoughts.

Dreaming of rainbows
Colors streaking across sky
Finds joy in the soul.
by Doris McCraw

Until next time, as Kermit would ask, "Why are there so many songs about rainbows?"









10 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Very inspiring.
    Thanks for sharing Rainbow Day with us.
    I remember being about 6 and searching for the end of a rainbow and its pot of gold in a tiny wood with a friend. I never found it, but the search was exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love rainbows and we get a lot double and a few triples here.

      I can just see you hunting for the pot of gold. I've done the same thing.. Doris

      Delete
  2. I was very pleased to find such a cheerful and uplifting post, as well as to learn that there's a rainbow day! We're certainly getting enough rain around here to see plenty of them. Beautiful poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ma'am. I do love rainbows. We've not gotten much moisture here, but we are an alpine desert area. Perhaps that's why rainbows are special here. LOL.

    Thank you for the kind words about the poem. Every once in a while the poet muse strikes. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doris, I love rainbows! My parents always loved to tell the story of my little 4 year old self seeing my first DOUBLE rainbow and saying, "LOOK MOMMY! God REALLY promised this time!"

    Love all these poems! And of course, Kermit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, what a beautiful memory. Rainbows are so special and when you add Kermit singing about it, well, it doesn't get any better than that.

      Doris

      Delete
  5. I always found rainbows enchanting as a child and my spirits lift even now when that arc pokes through rain clouds. I remember one April a good dozen or more years ago, sitting at the dining room table working on taxes. The curtain was open and the blue, blue sky was filled with huge white fluffy April clouds. All I could do was admire them and look for shapes. I ended up writing a poem instead. Hmmm, I wonder if I can still find the poem. This was a lovely post, Doris and I so enjoyed the poetry, too. Wordsworth is one of my favorite poets, but The Highwayman remains my fave poem of all time. Since I first read it in school, it's always captured my imagination with its imagery and it's rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm still having trouble with the blog page. I couldn't post my Monday blog because Blogger wouldn't let me sign in and I was to contact an administrator, which I should do before next month. Odd, though that my post here and on Christine's blog shows me as Unknown.....sob, don't forget me. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Highwayman is a keeper. What a classic.

      Like you, watching the sky is so relaxing and when you see a rainbow, it's the icing on the cake.

      We won't forget you, Elizabeth. Thank you for stopping by and adding to the discussion. Doris

      Delete
  7. I just got to your post. I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. I, too, love the idea of a day dedicated to rainbows. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete