Search This Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Summertime

 Post by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Rains

"Summertime and the livin' is easy ..." Well, I don't know that for sure, but I've always loved this song from "Porgy and Bess". I love shows, be they stage, screen or television. With the plethora of options these days, I find myself going back to the old shows. Lately, I've been on the hunt for shows I watched when younger and ones I may have missed. Two have been on the playlist lately.

From Wikipedia

The first: "A Man Called Shenandoah", which first aired in September of  1965. It starred Robert Horton as a man who has lost his memory and is traveling the West trying to find someone who knows him. The tag line- Doomed to Wander. Of course, Robert Horton is a joy to watch, and the episodes are fairly well written, but the show didn't last but one season. In the first episode, the doctor who treats him gives him the name Shenandoah, telling Horton the name means 'land of silence'.The remaining episodes are a journey through the Western Tropes. Still, if you get the chance to watch some episodes, it's a wonderful way to while away a hot afternoon when you want a break from reading or writing. Who knows, one of the episodes may trigger your next story. As an added bonus, Horton sings the theme song. Here is a link to that song: Shenandoah by Horton

From Wikipedia

The second show: "Overland Trail", first aired in February 1960. It starred William Bendix and Doug McClure. Bendix owns a stage line and McClure works for him. What a joy it is to watch the Bendix character manipulate McClure's. The other fun piece to this show, other than the chemistry between the two leads is McClure's character name: Flip Flippen. If you'd like to watch an episode, here's a link to a Youtube video. The quality isn't very good, but ...: Overland Trail - Perilous Passage

Tony Young - from IMDb

The other show I've searched for is "Gunslinger" starring Tony Young. I've not had much luck finding that one but always loved Frankie Lane's singing the theme song: Gunslinger - Frankie Lane 

Since this Sunday is July 4, have a wonderful day, be safe, and for those who don't like the loud noise of fireworks, you can always put the headphones on and listen to Robert Horton sing, or watch a young Doug McClure do what he does best. 

If you would like to hear a classy version of 'Summertime': Summertime - Ella Fitzgerald

Until next time!

Doris Gardner-McCraw -
Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in
Colorado and Women's History
Angela Raines - author: Telling Stories Where Love & History Meet





12 comments:

  1. Another interesting post, Doris. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You have a wonderful day also. Congratulations on your recent book release. Doris

      Delete
  2. I like the bluesy tone of the song "Summertime" and the lyrics. I love Frankie Lane's cowboy album. I actually have the original in vinyl, but later, bought it on CD. My favorite starts off with, "bullet in my shoulder, blood running down my vest, twenty in the posse, ain't never gonna let me rest..."Great song.
    I never got to watch any of these shows since we didn't have a TV.
    I so enjoyed reading your blog, Doris. All the best to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, A lot of these shows I've searched out and either watch on YouTube or get the DVDs.
      I also love hearing Frankie Lane sing those songs. I'm jealous that you had the vinyl. . I also love the overall tone and feel of 'Summertime'. Such a Classic.
      Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insights and memories. Doris

      Delete
  3. Thanks for another interesting post, Doris. I LOVE the song, 'Summertime' but always start to sing it too low - resulting in some very comic noises as my chest-voice scrapes the soles of my feet. Congratulations of your new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny because I tend to start to high, and although I can reach the high notes, it isn't always pretty. LOL. I, however, do love the song. Doris

      Delete
  4. After reading your post, I now want to hunt for those shows. Back in the day, westerns were popular tv fare and I watched them all. Fell in love with Little Joe on Bonanza. Then one day I "really" noticed Adam and my fickle heart left cute Little Joe in the dust as Adam was my idol. I still like him to this day. And oh yes, Frankie Laine sure belted out some great songs...Rawhide, Ghost Riders in the Sky to name a couple off-hand. As usual, a great, informative post, Doris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has become a sort of mission/hobby to hunt out these old shows. Some didn't even last one season, but I still want to see them. Doris

      Delete
  5. Many thanks, Doris, with your blog about these western shows and singers. Are any clips on Utube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I've watched some episodes on Youtube> You can type in the name of the show and it will show you the episodes that are on the site. Happy Watching. Doris

      Delete
  6. Interesting post. Ella Fitzgerald's Rendition of SUMMERTIME is my favorite. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m glad you liked it. Like you, Ella's version is amazing. Doris

      Delete