Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

In the Jailhouse Now – Chart Topper in 1955 by Kaye Spencer #classiccountrymusic #prairierosepubs #countrymusic

 


Until 2013, when a group called Florida Georgia Line had a 22-week hit with Cruise, in the history of Billboard Magazine Country Music Chart, three songs had held the record (pun intended) of having the longest runs at No. 1 for 21-weeks each. Collectively these songs held that honor for 65 years.

 

The three songs are:

Eddy Arnold – 1947/48 – I’ll Hold You in My Heart (Till I Can Hold You in My Arms)

Hank Snow – 1950 – I’m Moving On

Webb Pierce – 1955 – In the Jailhouse Now

Webb Pierce c. 1957 - Public Domain

Pierce’s rendition of In the Jailhouse Now began its 21-weeks at No. 1 the week of March 5th and stayed there until July 30th, 1955.

 According to Songfacts website,

Sometimes titled “He’s in the Jailhouse Now,” this lighthearted song about a small-time criminal who gets locked up became a popular vaudeville number in the early 20th century. One of the earliest and most popular recordings was by Jimmie Rodgers, a country musician known for his signature yodeling, in 1928.

Rodgers is often credited as possibly having written the song, and he did own one of the copyrighted versions.

The 2000 movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? re-popularized He’s in the Jailhouse Now, and brought it into the music-listening mainstream. The character Delmar, played by actor Tim Blake Nelson, sings the song and his partner-in-petty-crime, Pete (actor John Turturro) yodels between the verses. While Turturro lip-syncs his yodeling, Nelson does his own singing.

Here are two videos of the song. The first is the official Soggy Bottom Boys with Tim Blake Nelson as lead vocal. The second is the scene from O Brother, Where Art Thou? If your device doesn't play these videos, click HERE and HERE.



Until next time,
Kaye Spencer

writing through history one romance upon a time



Look for Kaye here:

Facebook
Instagram
Blogging
Twitter




 

 

 


7 comments:

  1. I always learn something from your musical posts, Kaye, and I just love them. I had no idea these three songs from 'back in the day' held such record-breaking #1 streaks. Out of all the songs that have come and gone, it's amazing to me that these three would be "the ones" that would have achieved this accomplishment.

    Can you believe, I have never seen "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I have a list of movies I need to sit down and watch, and this is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It does make you wonder what caught the listeners' ears and interests to have those particular songs stay so long at No. 1.

      O Brother, Where Art Thou? is a fun movie for picking out the Greek mythology references, which are many.

      Delete
  2. It's been a long time since I've listened to an Eddie Arnold song. It certainly brings back memories of my youth thinking of him.
    How do you come up with these musical personalities and their music? I haven't kept up very well over the last few years.
    I enjoyed your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      I love the classic country era. I haven't kept up with country music since c. 1990. The sound started changing about then, and it just doesn't fit my ears as country music. haha I love music. I obsess over trivia. So it's a perfect combination to blog about.

      Delete
  3. I knew that there was a lot of old music in O Brother, Where Art Thou. It's great to read some of the background behind it. Thanks for this. I really enjoy your musical posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C.A..,
    The old timey music in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? is great. Many old gospel songs and just good old song from the era. Thanks for commenting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how music of past decades practically fuel the soundtracks for movies and television, and commercials.

    ReplyDelete