Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

It's All in the Family by Ann Markim

     I have friends who can trace their heritage back to the 1200’s. Others can demonstrate how they’re related to famous people as 14th or 17th cousins. Both are interesting and impressive.

    But for me, the most fascinating part of researching my family history is learning small details of their day-to-day lives and the reasons why my ancestors made significant, life-changing decisions.

    Since my mother was the child of one of the younger offspring, she had no recollection of her grandparents on her mother’s side. Years ago, we set off on a quest to learn as much about them as we could. We visited many of her oldest living cousins.

     I started those visits off with a few prompting questions, then let the cousins talk about memories and family stories. All the while, I had my video camera (this was in the era before smart phones) rolling. Not only did I learn a lot about my family’s history, but I also felt much more closely bonded with relatives I had barely known before.


           My great-grandparents (who inspired THE LEGACY) and their 10 children

 Here are some of the tidbits I’ve picked up while researching my family history:
  • ·         My mother’s maternal grandfather came to America to escape conscription into the German Army when South Jutland was occupied by the Germans. This land area was not returned to Denmark until after World War I.
  • ·         My mother’s paternal grandfather died when my grandfather was fourteen. Mom’s paternal grandmother and her children continued to operate the farm successfully, and my mother and her siblings grew up on that farm.
  • ·         One of my mother’s aunts taught high school in Sioux City, Iowa for many years. Among her pupils were the twins who became Dear Abby and Ann Landers.
  • ·         One of my mother’s cousins used to love to go to town with his dad to pick up supplies, especially kerosene. In those days, gumdrops were used as stoppers in the spouts of kerosene containers. Mom’s cousin volunteered to ride home in the back of the wagon with the supplies so he could eat the gumdrop. If he ate it too early, he had to put his hand over the spout to keep the liquid from sloshing out.

    These are just a few of the fun facts I’ve uncovered about my family. I love to speculate about what life was like through the generations. The first two items on the list served as inspiration for my historical novel, THE LEGACY. Although THE LEGACY is entirely fictional, I’ve tucked many of the tidbits I’ve discovered about my ancestors into the story. This made the manuscript fun to write.



Buy Links:      Paperback at Amazon    Amazon Kindle      

What fascinating tidbits have you learned about you ancestors Do you have any fun family stories?  How have they inspired you?




Ann Markim


16 comments:

  1. Good Morning. Looking forward to hearing your family stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My paternal great-grandfather emigrated from Germany after WWI. He changed his last name front “Liebert” to “Jones” because of anti-German sentiment after the war. There is some speculation that he had other less legitimate reasons for changing his last name.

    I’m currently reading The Legacy and enjoying it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deb. It's so interesting to learn family tidbits and think about the circumstances surrounding them. For all of us, the past influences the present and the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have to Google gumdrop origins. My family has an interesting past full of speculation about certain events. They generated from a very poor community in Kentucky who proabably does not have the greatest record keeping. Do you have any insight on how to approach research in this situation, and did you run into any roadblocks researching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. If you know the county in Kentucky, see if they are listed in city or county directories. Through the state, you may or may not be able to get copies of birth/death certificates, depending on your relationship to them and state/local laws. Also local newspapers may be available in county historical societies or might be online. These can be good starting places that point you to other resources.

      Delete
    2. And, yes, I found roadblocks. Most of them related to events within the family that no one had information on. In one case, I was able to find information from a family friend who was still living in the area where they lived.

      Delete
  5. Fascinating, Ann. My paternal great grandparents lived for a time in Malta and India. Other great-grands lived in Bradford in Yorkshire. Your "The Legacy" sounds a really interesting story and I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know what took them to Malta and India? Sometimes the circumstances around moves are really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My paternal grt-granddad was in the army and my maternal gran was a midwife. He rose up 'thro the ranks' and Grannie Mc said there were some officers who snobbishly would not associate with them as a result. They served in India and Malta. My granddad had pierced ears, as his Indian nurse had them done to protect him.

      Delete
    2. So interesting to learn about the times our ancestors lived in and the relationships that were part of their lives. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  7. Ann, most of what I know about my family's history came from the stories my parents and grandparents told me. In the telling of these stories I learned as you did about the day to day life and the hardships they overcame. It gave me a greater sense of self to know how I eventually became a part of this history and I felt such kinship with those that came before. Some of the stories were sad, some were funny, and some were lessons in character. I loved hearing them.
    We Americans are removed from our countries of origin, but because of these stories we can still feel connected to the places our people once called home.
    Wonderful blog, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well said. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Family and history have so much to offer, if we take the time to look and listen. I was fortunate to know both my great grandparents on the paternal side of the family. Being someone who loved to hear stories, I was in heaven. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are indeed fortunate to know great grandparents. Isn't it interesting to think of the changes that have occurred in the world in the period from their lifetime through the lifetimes of our children?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann,
    I did not have the good fortune to know my great grandparents on either side. I do, however, have great memories of my paternal grandmother (b. 1907) and my maternal grandfather (b. 1899). We have a sketchy written history for both sides, and I treasure these little bits of ancestral knowledge. I am also fortunate that a few years before my dad died, he and his older brother were at a family funeral and they fell into telling stories of growing up. Another relative in the room had the good sense to record them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's such a treasure to have parents and grandparents on video, speaking in their own words. I treasure the recordings I have of my parents and other relatives. When I was taping my mother's cousins, I made copies for their children.

    ReplyDelete