Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

WHO DOES WHAT ON A FOOTBALL TEAM?


Image result for cowboys football team
Forgive the somewhat grammatically incorrect title, but I like it.

My Virgo Horoscope today asked me: "Consider that each player's position on a football team comes with its own responsibilities and a specific role to move the team to victory. Which is your choice position in today's 'game'?"

My dear husband and I don't watch much football, but on occasion we become interested in a team for one reason or another. I do understand the basics of the game--but the players' positions? Couldn't tell you the difference between a running back or a tight end. As a result, I do ask questions now and then, and he can tell me everything I need...or want...to know.

Other than the quarterback's role...everybody knows that!...what are some of the positions?

And how can I use this in my life of writing?

First, I want to decide if I'm an Offensive Player or a Defensive Player. Well, this is too easy. I want to be on the Offensive team. They have the ball, for heaven's sake. Why wouldn't I want to have the ball?

So, of the Offensive Players--
The QB passes or hands off the ball
The Center snaps the ball to the QB
The Guards and Tackles keep the defense at bay
The Wide Receivers catch the ball thrown by the QB
The Running Back takes the ball and runs with it
The Tight End blocks the defense and catches passes--
I believe I will be the...wait a minute. To get the ball over the goal line, more than one player must do his job. If I chose to be the Running Back, I'd need the other players to help me catch and run the ball toward the goal line.
When I first began writing stories to pass the time, I was completely on my own. In a way, I had the ball and could do what I wanted with it. Then came a time when I thought someone else should read one of my manuscripts, and quickly learned I couldn't produce a good product without help.

No touchdown on my own.
TOUCHDOWN

That help came in the form of writing friends, writing courses and books, a publisher, a contract, an editor, and finally...distribution sites. Touchdown.

Then came more work to finish the game--promotion.

Writing is relatively simple compared to getting that novel or short story published and promoted.

It takes a village? For a book, it takes a team.
Celia Yeary
Romance, and a little bit of Texas


14 comments:

  1. You kicked the fieldgoal on this one, Celia. I do enjoy football, and it does take a team to create a win. So many people think this industry is a solitary sport. In reality, no sport is solitary, it always takes more than one, even if if is just a cheering section. Thanks. I did enjoy this post. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks, Doris! This time of year, it's football, football, football..so yes, it was stuck in my head. And you are so right--being an author is not a solitary event...we must be connected with others. Sure, we write at our computer alone...still I depend on others through email, etc.

      Delete
  2. Good post, Celia. And right on target. It takes a lot of people to get a book to publication and beyond. And I feel fortunate that I have a wonderful team working with me and for me with every book I have published. Thanks for presenting such a clear analogy between the game and the writing profession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might write in solitude, but beyond that, we'll go nowhere without all those other players. I'm glad you like it--if it's not football on tv, it's THE DANG CONGRESSIONAL HEARINGS!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I know next to nothing about football, but I know a great deal about teamwork. We all need to work together to be successful. Once we've submitted our book to the publisher that best represents our genre and compatibility, we depend on them to get a good distributor, generate excitement about our books, present us with projects we may find advantageous, edit our work to help us present a professional and polished novel, and help us get a cover that best portrays our story line by a professional cover designer who also respects our personal wishes. Yes! Teamwork is an excellent way to present our very best work.
    A very unique way to present the teamwork involved in writing. All good things to you, Celia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I've appreciated from Rebecca Vickery and now from Cheryl. It's the teamwork, and comradery that makes it work...in addition to making the whole thing fun..enjoyable. And we make new friends who turn out to be favorites...Thanks, Sarah.

      Delete
  4. Well, you already know more about football than I do, Celia, but I agree that nothing gets done alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keena--haha. I know nothing about football and could care less. But for the team to succeed, well, I Googled it! But it seemed like a good analogy.

      Delete
  5. I have to admit, my favorite part of a football game is the marching band at half time. Wonderful analogy, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've always said...then the tv station takes that off so the commentators can have air time.

      Delete
  6. It would take a miracle to create a book which makes sense, has correct grammar, and is free of repetitious and redundant words without the help and encouragement of friends and those in the know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! But I've tried to read far too many who obviously just typed that story out and got it published...horrible grammar, POV all over the place, and just plain awful writing. I though Amazon edited or reviewed self-pubbed books...if so, someone's not doing his job.

      Delete
  7. Celia,

    I enjoyed your football to writing/publishing analogy. It makes a lot of sense.

    I'm with you on the 'bleh' indifference toward watching football. The one, and only, time I ever cared about pro football was when Broadway Joe Namath was the quarterback for the NY Jets. I harbored a starry-eyed crush on him. lol That tells you how much I've kept up with the sport over the years. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you and about a million other young women! Joe Namath...he was one of a kind.

      Delete