Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

For Love of a Brystile Witch by Kaye Spencer #NewRelease

A witch.
A curse.
Two destinies entwined.
Only love between sworn enemies will break the spell.
Happy October Reading!

Kaye Spencer here to announce my short story, For Love of a Brystile Witch, which was first published in the Cowboys, Creatures, & Calico, Vol. 2 anthology, is now available as a single-sell release.

To come up with a story, I brainstormed "What if" questions, and here is how the storyline played out.
  • What if a woman in the moments before she was hanged as a witch in 1692 New England put a death curse on the hanging judge and a curse of sorrow on the women of the Brystile line?
  • Then what if 200 years after the hanging, fate brings together the last woman in the witch's family and the last man from the judge's family?
  • And what if their mutual love and forgiveness will end the curse?
  • I added a time factor so these two strangers have only a month to right this 200-year-old wrong before time runs out for both families, but only one of them knows that.


Excerpt:

Reid needed no urging to mount the steps and, in spite of herself, Mercy kept watching. He ascended with an easy gait, the ball of each polished boot touching lightly upon the next plank. Once on the platform, he turned toward the crowd, head bowed and hat brim throwing a shadow over his features. Sheriff Samuel Dunne and Axel Moser, the valley’s minister of twenty some years stood on either side of the condemned man, and the deputies took watchful positions behind them and off the trap door...

The sheriff’s voice rose above the crowd’s murmurings. “If you have any last words, speak them now.”

For the longest time, Reid didn’t move. The quiet in the street became quieter. A baby cried; a woman shushed it. The autumn breeze ceased blowing. Mercy held her breath, entranced by the scene playing out before her. When he lifted his chin, she sucked in a little gasp of pity. His eyes—such sadness—maybe it was regret. Whatever his pain, it was deeper than the prospect of leaving this life in a few minutes. Did he deserve to die like this? Alone? With no one here to mourn his passing? Certainly, she didn’t know, but she blinked away tears for him nonetheless.

His deep voice resonated through the silent streets. “I hold the world, but as the world…a stage where every man must play a part. And mine is a sad one.”

A gasp of sorrow at his utter hopelessness left Mercy’s lips and, as if he’d heard, he caught her gaze with his, holding it in a way that made her feel he was memorizing her face as the last tender sight he’d take with him to the grave.

Sheriff Dunne waited a few seconds for the man to say more. When nothing came, he addressed the crowd. “As the duly appointed legal authority in Dulcet Valley, I hereby declare this hanging to proceed this first day of October 1892. The condemned will hang by the neck until dead, and his body will be interred in the local cemetery with a gravestone bearing his name, birth, and death dates. As per his signed and witnessed last requests, his epitaph will read, Teach me to feel another’s woe. Reverend Moser will settle his debts and notify next of kin.”

Those words—

She knew the poem and went on in her head with the next lines…to hide the fault I see / that mercy I to others show / that mercy show to me. It was strange that the word mercy, her given name, would show up in duplicate at this moment. Two of any one thing meant balance, partnership or opposites, either way it meant a pairing of something. Since coincidences didn’t exist in her world, Fate was at work here. She swept a hurried glance around the area, searching for other signs she’d overlooked.

“Let it be known the Honorable Judge J. A. Swanson has authorized me to accept a plea of innocent and commute the death sentence.” He leveled a hard gaze on the condemned man. “Reid Leighton Corvane, this is your last chance to save your own life.”

“What? A Corvane? Here?” The words burst forth, loud and unbidden. Jolted, stunned to her bones, Mercy grabbed a better hold on the branch to keep her seat. So her months of conjuring had proven fruitful after all.


I'll give away a digital copy of For Love of a Brystile Witch to one commenter. Please leave your contact information with your comment so I'll have a way to contact you in case I draw your name.

Until next time,

Kaye

BUY LINKS    Barnes and Noble Nook     Smashwords     Kobo


10 comments:

  1. Dang, I missed this one the first time. What a wonderful concept and gripping excerpt. Best on this one. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris,

      You're too kind, :-) Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  2. Kaye,
    I loved this story!! You weave the paranormal elements so well. I read all your ghost encounters on Jill's post a few days ago -- holy cow. I'll pass on the scary ones -- yikes -- but I loved the monk story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy,

      I like "paranormal-light" stories and I love, love, love October and especially Halloween. I got hooked on ghost stories as a kid when I discovered books by Hans Holzer. I like visiting old cemeteries, too. Thanks for commenting. :-)

      Delete
  3. Kaye...I love it! It could be a movie...One, one would watch year after year. You have such a gift for writing and WOW!!! Such an imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb,

      Ah, shucks, thanks. *grin* One of my writing dreams is to see my name at the end of movie credits...Based on the story by Kaye Spencer. *wink*

      Delete
  4. I haven't read the vol. 2 stories yet. Now that I'm between projects, I need to get to them and enjoy myself. Your story looks mighty enticing, Kaye. I like the pressure of a time limitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,

      Time constraints certainly up the tension in a story, and in this one, only one of the characters knows time is running out. Thanks for stopping in. :-)

      Delete
  5. Such a good story, Kaye! I loved this! And I truly do love this cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,

      I love the image, too. With the cauldron in the background, it harkens back to the witch trial era and it hints to the 200 years later, which is the setting of my story. It's perfect.

      Delete