Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Dreaded Deadline

By Kristy McCaffrey

I’m in the midst of completing another manuscript. Although this is my fifth novel, it’s the first that I wrote under a deadline. Having no publishing commitments with my other books (at least, not until after they were completed), I basked in the freedom of writing what I wanted when I wanted, of letting the story unfold in its own time.

I’m not here to tell you that one technique is better than the other, but the reality is that if you desire a writing career, you must accept deadlines. And a funny thing happened along the way. Although I was forced to live in abject terror over the early (and abysmal) state of said manuscript—knowing the publication date loomed and that it was a mess of shallow plotlines and several characters who served no point whatsoever—that deadline constantly pushed me forward. And that, ladies and gents, is what gets the story written.

Ask any writer, and they, of course, know this. I know this. I’m not reinventing the wheel here. But still, when I finally got to the end (last Friday, as a matter of fact), after weeks of worry and stressed-out dreams, I threw myself at the altar of the Deadline and screamed hallelujah. Because the Deadline forced me to get into the dirt of my story, slog through the mud, and FIX the problems. Don’t misunderstand, there were moments I thought, “I’ll just take a break and watch Modern Family, relax the mind, and let the solution find me.” For the record, that routine has never worked. I don’t know why I keep trusting it will. There’s a pervasive belief, held by non-writers and writers alike, that good stories write themselves. Um, no.


Two days before I finished an extensive edit of the novel, I hit a stall of massive proportions. The problem was the romance, and since I write historical romances, this wasn’t just some small aggravation I could sweep under the rug (although, believe me, I tried). As I entered the final climactic scene, the one where all the characters that had been running willy-nilly through the story came together (and yay, I’d managed to give them all a reason for being there), it felt flat. The hero and heroine were happy, and getting along. They were talking about love and marriage. What had I done? In a romance novel, the biggest stake in the story involves the couple, and if it’s resolved too soon, why would the reader care about anything else? I needed a dose of relationship friction, and quick.

In a world of no deadlines, I could’ve relaxed. I’ll solve this quandary eventually. Maybe the book will be published by 2018. But, if you can stand to look your fears and deficiencies in the eye (sunglasses help), a wonderful thing can happen. You’ll find the twist you need. Invariably, the solution is already present in the work itself, the writer just needs to focus and find it. The Deadline makes this happen. The tension I needed existed in the heroine. All it took was a little tweaking. After that, the ending wrote itself. Just kidding. It took me eight straight hours to pick through it, and additional editing the following day to smooth it out.

I’m happy to report that I’ve molded a tale that carries depth and theme and conflict, a story that makes me proud. So, embrace the Deadline. While it’s a love-hate relationship, within its smothering grip your best writing self can emerge.

*****
My deadline book will be available in a few weeks!! All the deets will be on my website http://www.kristymccaffrey.com/


Historical Western Romance
Arizona Territory 1877
For two years, Tess Carlisle has tried to heal the mental and physical wounds of a deadly assault by one of her papá’s men, but with no contact from Hank Carlisle since the attack, she’s determined to track him down. Her only hope is bounty hunter Cale Walker, a protégé of Hank’s and a man unlike any she has ever known. As he teaches her strength not just in body but spirit, he also makes her yearn for something she vowed she never would—love.


21 comments:

  1. You deal with deadlines, and we wait patiently. Okay, that's a lie lol. We pester and nag you, probably worse than your publisher :) but you are loved Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Aww, thanks!! We writers need all the love we can get. :-) Because I'm not a patient person by nature. Writing a novel is one of the hardest things for me since I want it to be done, done, done so I can enjoy it too.

      Delete
  2. Well said, Kristy! Love your sayings too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      Don't we writers just love quotes that say it all for us? Just when I thought I had my writing technique figured out, the Deadline up and changed it. Take care and happy writing to you!

      Delete
  3. I've never written a novel under a deadline, and I can't imagine I ever want to. The stress would eat me alive. I do write short stories for anthologies with a deadline, but I usually know in advance what I'll write for those. I have never missed a deadline for a short story or a blog.
    If any kind of deadline stresses me out. it would be blogs. Coming up with articles that are interesting, or historical, or unusual nags at me. Blogs are so important that I can't ignore them or just give up. It's just part of the tenacity that we as writers live with every day. It's a pleasure and a pain.
    Honestly, Kristy, I don't think having a deadline makes me write any better or any faster. In my own mind I have a writing agenda to meet. Having external pressure to get a work done at a particular time might put me in the nut house. I probably belong in one anyway. And I certainly don't want to come face to face with writer's block again--been there twice and it's a very unhappy place to be. Having a deadline could make me resist writing and end up with the dreaded WB and I'm scared just thinking about that.
    A very provocative article, Kristy. I sure am glad you met that deadline. It must have been quite a relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah,
      I think a lot of writers feel the way you do. I know I certainly did, and still do. Having gone through this experience I've realized I need to pad more time into the writing of a novel for those inevitable hiccups that always strike. As for blogs, I hear you!! I love writing them and many flow effortlessly, but there's always those months where the brain is an echo chamber of nothingness. I have a bit of stress then. :-)
      Take care and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Kristy,

    I love deadlines because of the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article, Kristy! I'm probably of the "Sarah" school--it would eat me alive to have a deadline. LOL I've come close to missing a deadline for an anthology or two, but managed to finish up and get it done--a novel? I would probably just have to go look at "bright shiny objects" for a while to relax my brain and then say, "I CAN'T DO THIS!" LOL I'm working on a novel right now that I keep trying to kick myself into gear on--It's been a while since I wrote a LOOOONNGG project and I think that's what's been my stumbling block. But if I had a deadline, I probably would just run screaming into the night with my blood pressure sky high. LOL

    I can see where a deadline would be the catalyst to make you work on something incessantly until it was finished. This reminds me of my younger days when I had to always be preparing some kind of piece for a piano recital or contest. How I hated that! I think because I couldn't enjoy the music for having to "learn" the rest of it: the crescendos, largos, and so on. I just wanted to play the notes and enjoy them instead of making it all perfect for someone else to listen to by a certain date, and judge me on how well I played. I always did well, and didn't seem nervous, but inside I was a wreck.

    I have a theory that this is because I'm the youngest in my family. I think older kids, or only children, do better with deadline expectations than the babies of the family. LOL

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the threat of Flying Monkeys is a good motivator....

      Delete
    2. Yes, but I can't set them on myself, Kaye! LOL

      Delete
    3. Cheryl,
      You may be right about the birth order thing. I'm an eldest, and really hate not meeting an obligation. Just kills me. I try to be very careful what I obligate myself to. My youngest daughter, the baby in the family, certainly hates deadlines. She has the ability to tune them out. I actually admire her for this, except that her grades plummet when she ignores a subject she hates for too long. :-)
      I'm actually surprised to hear your take on not liking deadlines since you're an editor and run a publishing company LOL. On the other hand, today's publishing atmosphere allows a lot more flexibility, rewarding both the A-type, workaholic writer and the more laid-back author.

      Delete

    4. Cheryl,

      Maybe this can be your deadline encouragement... http://giphy.com/gifs/movie-nick-cage-cLwe3J6YvGsH6


      Kristy,

      I'm the first born of my siblings, and I'm a deadline-meter, even though I joke about Cheryl sending the flying monkeys. Not meeting that deadline didn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy. I work hard to not let people down.

      I like your analogy of today's publishing situation being amenable to the different writing personalities.

      Delete
    5. (Grrr... "deadline-meter" is an autocorrect of "deadline-meeter" when I wasn't looking. Try it and see what happens. 0_o

      Delete
    6. Haha Kaye--you can be our deadline-meter from now on!!

      Delete
    7. Maybe I should correct myself...I think meeting deadlines for shorter projects don't affect me like the longer ones. And so for short stories for the anthologies, I will start FARRRRR in advance to be sure I have time to get mine written AND to edit everyone else's. Short stories have a much easier deadline for me, so I don't mind those as much. But novels? Ewww...I'm shivering! LOL

      Delete
    8. The longer ones definitely require more brain power to keep it all straight. And to do it thoroughly requires time.

      Delete
    9. I much prefer writing novels/novellas. Short stories take a longggggg time for me to write. It seems I agonize (perhaps obsess) over every word, which slows down my progress.

      Delete
  6. I confess, I'm a deadline junkie. It has caused me no end of headaches and heartaches, but I'm adicted. I'm in recovery as of today. (So she says). Great post. I do love it when the characters let you know, if you listen, that they have a solution. Here is to a great book. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doris,
      I didn't know you were in recovery LOL. I hope reading this post didn't throw you into a tail spin. Haha. The pressure of a deadline is hard to manage while trying to be creative at the same time, that's for darn sure.

      Delete
  7. Every time I you said DEADLINE I read DREADLINE. Was that in the article and I just kept seeing that.. or was it a combination of Dreams and Deadline?
    Best of luck with your latest! ~Connie

    ReplyDelete