Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

ODD VINTAGE EASTER CARDS PART 1--by Cheryl Pierson


Because I am in love with vintage art and always have been, I had started to look through some vintage Easter greeting cards to blog about—thinking there would be some really cute images to share. There were. But as I went through the selections, I was struck by some of the more ridiculous creations instead of being caught up by the “sweetness” of some of them.

Here, let me show you what I’m talking about. Now, maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. Some of these are just kind of creepy.

Bunnies dancing a jig decked out in colored eggs. Okay, how did they get into those eggs in the first place?



BE HONEST! Did any of you see this in your mind's eye instead?



And...who's bright idea was this? Man, that egg looks heavy. And what is he going to do with it when he gets where he's going with it?


UMMM...call me crazy, but is this the fairy Pied Piper of Hamlin leading the chicks to their doom or what?


Okay, my mother instincts are yelling, screaming, "GET OFF THAT EGG!" (I have to confess, this reminds me of something my son would have tried.) Notice the body of water that they're racing toward? This can only end badly. Why can't this kid just play with these "normal" children below?



A balancing act if I ever saw one. Crazy rabbit, trying to ride a goat with his hands full. I want to look away, but I just can't!


DON'T GET ON THE CHICKEN DIRIGIBLE! What are you guys thinking?


No need for words on this one. Wonder what he plans to kill on this fine Easter day?

I never really noticed how oddly the artists' minds worked in that time for these images. I am almost afraid to go look at the Christmas ones. Or the Valentine ones. These were strange enough, but...do I see a story in there? Maybe one of the dancing bunnies had a terrible childhood that made him want to join Bunny Vaudeville!

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter! Let's see... what did I do with my normal lamb picture...

2 comments:

  1. I also have found some vintage images more than a bit disturbing. I wonder if it was all the suppressed emotions and the strict 'code' that created the need for acting out in their art? Maybe not, but the theory might be worth a thought, when I get time. Still there were some very charming pieces from that time also. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought the same thing, Doris, about the suppressed emotion. It's not just in these Easter cards--but the Valentine's cards, etc. But there is something that draws us to them, isn't here? LOL

      Delete