Search This Blog

Sunday, August 1, 2021

August 1 - Colorado Day


 Post by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Raines

Did you know that August 1 is Colorado Day? On this date in 1876, Ulysses S. Grant signed the paperwork to make Colorado the thirty-eighth state to join the Union. 

North Central Colorado

The journey to statehood was not a smooth one. Initially, what we know of as Colorado was claimed by various countries, and that does not include the native people who already lived here.

Spanish explorers visited the area in the 1500s and claimed the southern part of the state for Spain. The Spanish gave up their claim with the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildago that had ended the Spanish American War.

France had claimed the Eastern portion of the state which was part of the 1803 Louisana Purchase. Of course, the Spanish disputed that claim. It was allegedly part of the reason for Zebulon Pike's expedition in 1806.

A view of those High Mountains
Photo Property of the author

In 1850 Colorado was part of the Utah Territory and New Mexico Territory. In 1854 Colorado also became part of the Nebraska Territory and the Kansas Territory. Then during the gold rush of 1859 Colorado continued being part of the Kansas Territory and the Jefferson Territory.

Colorado's first 'permanent' settlement was not until 1851 when residents of Taos, New Mexico Territory arrived in the San Luis Valley and founded the town of San Luis.

Now you may wonder why so late. Many thought the Rocky Mountains in Colorado were unpassable because they were so high. Additionally, there were fur trading 'forts' in the 1820s and 30s but these were businesses and few had more than a few families in the fort or nearby.

Replica of Fort Vasquez - one of the Fur Trading Forts
photo property of the author

There are many other little-known facts about my adopted state that would make this post much too long. For those interested, I've included a link from the History Colorado site.

Additonal little known facts about Colorado

So, having celebrated Colorado Springs's 150th birthday on July 31, I'll be celebrating the state's 145th birthday on August 1. Can't pass up these kinds of 'history' parties. 

Until next time, keep reading, writing, and enjoying history.

Doris Gardner-McCraw -
Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in
Colorado and Women's History
Angela Raines - author: Telling Stories Where Love & History Meet

Post (c) Doris McCraw All Rights Reserved.

16 comments:

  1. Happy Colorado Day, Doris! Over here it's Yorkshire Day, so we will be celebrating together.
    Fasinating article and glorious photos. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay, glad you enjoyed the post. I'll raise a glass to Yorkshire Day in your honor. (It will be tea, but the sentiment is the same).
      Glad you enjoyed my photos. I do love taking them. Doris

      Delete
    2. I live in Yorkshire too, Lindsay! Happy Yorkshire Day

      Delete
  2. Happy Colorado day. It's such a beautiful state. I really enjoyed my visit there, and hope to get back to see friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do love it here and love its history. Give me a shout if you ever get back here. Doris

      Delete
  3. I had no idea so many "other places" claimed Colorado. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those early maps are an interesting study. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by. Doris

      Delete
  4. Thanks for another fascinating post about your home state! It sounds like a ... koff ... "rocky" start out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. , You have that right. There is so much rich history, at least to me that I have to periodically share. Doris

      Delete
  5. On Aug. 1, 1861, Lt. Col. John Baylor proclaimed himself military governor of the Confederate Territory of Arizona. I'm glad Colorado lasted longer than that did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, I'm glad Colorado lasted also.
      Don't you just love history? Doris

      Delete
  6. It is interesting that there were only 25 years between the first permanent settlement and statehood. Thanks for the interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once gold and silver were found the state 'exploded' in growth. Although there were people here prior to 1851 it wasn't towns.

      I'm glad you enjoyed this little bit of history. I do love sharing. Doris

      Delete
  7. All the countries that wanted a chunk of the "pie" is enough to make one dizzy trying to keep track of it all. As always, such interesting reading, Doris, and I love your photographs. Colorado has always been one state I've loved from afar thanks to great movies filmed there. I still want to visit your beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a colorful map for sure. I confess, I do love sharing the history.

      I'm glad you enjoy the photos. I have some great subjects to work with. I do hope you get to see the state in person some day. Doris

      Delete
  8. I had no idea there was such a thing as Colorado Day. Beautiful picture of the High Mountains. The replica of the fort is kind of odd looking. I've never seen that kind of construction for a fort before.

    ReplyDelete