Search This Blog

Saturday, April 5, 2014

WHAT WOULD A NAVY SEAL DO? by Cheryl Pierson



Okay, picture this. You’ve gone to the grocery store and nearly get run over in the parking lot. What do you do? Well, if you’re a Navy Seal, you share a few choice words. But then you wind up getting shot over it? And you plug your own wound? AND THEN you get in your car and chase the man who shot you? WOW!

This is what I got from the interview with Gretchen Carlson and Former Navy Seal Chris Mark Heben from an internet article by Fox News. You can go here to watch the interview between Gretchen and Chris via Skype. http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/03/navy-seal-shot-ohio-parking-lot-chases-after-attackers-car

Read on:

Gretchen Carlson shared an incredible story out of Akron, Ohio. Former Navy Seal Chris Mark Heben, 44, was shot in the stomach at a grocery store parking lot. Heben managed to not only chase his attacker’s car, but he also plugged his wound and drove himself to the hospital.

On The Real Story via Skype, Heben recounted how he was almost run over in the parking lot by a distracted driver. The two exchanged words and Heben walked away.

Then, he said the man pulled up next to him and said he needed to learn respect.

Heben replied, “In my line of work, in my world, respect is earned, it’s not given.”

Moments later, Heben said he felt tremendous pain in his stomach and the car drove away.

He had been shot, but instead of calling 911, he decided to chase after the man to catch his license plate.

“It was like looking through a lava lamp at a kaleidoscope,” he told Gretchen. “It was then that I realized I needed to break chase and get myself to a higher echelon of medical care.”

Police are still searching for the suspect.

Our stories are happening all around us, in real life! What would you have done if you had been in Chris’s place? No one expects to get gunned down in the parking lot of a grocery store—especially after serving for 10 years as a Navy SEAL and never having been shot in battle. How ironic is that?

Who says you need an imagination to write??? Seems all you have to do is be in the grocery store parking lot and look around you, anymore! This just boggles my mind. I don’t know which I’m more fascinated by—the fact that the jerk in the car felt he had to continue the argument and pull up beside Chris and shoot him, or the fact that Chris kept his head, plugged his wound, chased the jerk, and then realized he had to get to the hospital instead.

I believe they’ll eventually find the guy who did this. SEALS are trained to observe, to note detail. You can bet Chris was able to give the police more description than the average Joe.

Thoughts? Comments? I’m curious. I picture myself as a bystander watching it all playing out. And I’m still amazed, every time I think about it. I feel a story coming on...

16 comments:

  1. Wow! Sometimes real life really IS more dramatic than fiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I mean, what would you do if you were out there on that parking lot? My tendency is to always run to help. LOL In that case, I figure Chris would have pushed me out of the way and said, "Move back! I'm goin' after him!" LOL

      I haven't forgotten about mailing your book, Alisa--just been busy (with a sick husband!) Will get it mailed soon! Thanks for coming by today!

      Delete
  2. That is truly amazing. This could be made into a great thriller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing, Julie. That guy just didn't know who he was messing with. I'm sure they'll find him.
      Cheryl

      Delete
  3. An amazing story, I loved it when I first heard it a couple days ago. This is just one example of the many awesome things SEALs do. For my graduate studies I took a course in special warfare and became devoted to these guys. My parents still call them "your SEALs," since they and my roommate had to listen to every story a detailed account. I've been busy writing a series that features the Teams. They've been stories that have been with me for so long and I finally found how they fit together in of all places Wyoming. This first one is truly the story of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Kirsten! My hubby was a SEAL "back in the day" in Viet Nam. Got his leg VERY mangled and so they eventually sent him elsewhere (Japan) but I've heard some harrowing stories too. Shudder. I'm so glad to know you're working on a series. I had an idea for one, too, that I have not completely give up on, but probably won't get to until I learn how to cram 50 hours in each day. LOL

      I hope you'll submit them to our Fire Star Press when you get them done--we're going to have an AWESOME category(ies) for that kind of thing, with some other submissions we have coming in soon, too.

      Thanks for bringing this story to my attention when you shared on FB. I love it. I have been thinking about that off and on all day.

      Cheryl

      Delete
    2. That's so awesome, Cheryl. Vietnam is when my stories take place. I did a huge paper in grad school on SEALs in Vietnam. Through my contacts at their Museum, I've become friends with a Vietnam SEAL and he's helping me keep it real. :) I'll definitely submit to Five Star!

      Delete
    3. "Who says you need an imagination to write???" You're right Cheryl, I don't have to dream up stories (other than connecting the to a common storyline. I'm buried in stories from the family ranch in Mexico and my daughter's endless adventures. Real life dues trump fiction.

      Delete
    4. It really does, Gordo! For sure. Many times, things are so fantastical in real life that no one COULD make up something like that. Thanks for coming by today--good to see you here!
      Cheryl

      Delete
  4. Wow!what a story! And what a guy! Never mind Arnie or Sly! This guy is the real thing. I really don't know what I'd have done if I'd been there. It must have been terrifying even for the bystanders. Yep, fact is really stranger (and better) than fiction. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure, Jill! I bet it truly was terrifying for the bystanders, even more so than Chris. He was so well-trained to do what had to be done, he just automatically kicked into gear and did it. Glad you enjoyed it!
      Cheryl

      Delete
  5. Frightening and heroic. Makes you wonder what people have in their mind, but then I had locked up a kid who took umbrage at someone cutting him off and he killed him. (A shortened version) and that was over twenty years ago.

    Those trained can do amazing things, but the average person has the capability. Thank you for sharing the story. Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about this a lot since "road rage" has become part of our world. I don't think I have ever been mad enough to pull out a gun and KILL someone over being cut off, etc. And I can't even imagine driving up to someone in the parking lot I'd argued with and shooting them. Maybe this is why it boggles my mind so much. I've been plenty mad, but never to that point. And it's really hard for me to even imagine being so mad that I would try to kill someone over such an argument.

      Yes, Doris, I believe a lot of having the "capability" is BELIEVING that you can do something like that. Thanks so much for coming by today. I loved this story--got it from Kirsten Arnold on FB and just had to share it.
      Cheryl

      Delete
  6. I've written a comment 3 times and having trouble posting any of them. This was such an interesting blog. It seems patience, manners and the values of human life...any kind of life...no longer seems important to more and more people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I know someone else said that the other day -- that they had trouble posting. Also know that our Petticoats and Pistols site is down and having all kinds of issues today and Livia said she was having trouble with her e-mail...It seems to be running rampant today! But you persevered! LOL

      I'm so glad you enjoyed this blog. I have thought of this guy, Chris, off and on all day long and just wondered what went through his mind when all that happened. You're right though. Life seems to have become more and more meaningless to such a large segment of our society. It's very frightening.
      Cheryl

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete