Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2016

IS IT REALLY TRUE?

Post by Doris McCraw/Angela Raines










As a student of history, especially social history, I question the assumptions and statements constantly. I confess, I learn better that way. It also has led to some interesting discussions. So today, I'm looking as some assumptions we have about women who step out of the norm, specifically women who pursued the medical profession. Yes, there are inherent drawbacks to the study of history, especially when you reduce it to the personal level. Still, there are some valid points to looking at the lives of the 'little' people who make up our background.

The common perception that women had a difficult time breaking into the medical field is both true and false. Now before you start throwing stones, hear me out. Women have always been associated with the healing arts. Even in ancient times there was the 'wise woman' that many went to when ill. After the witch trials in Europe during the 15th-18th century, women and some men were driven underground in fear of their lives. Some can say it was a ploy to bring the church to the forefront in peoples lives. Others would say it was the result of power hungry men to keep themselves in power. Whatever the reason, women were placed in an unenviable position of being placed in a second class status. This seems to have continued on even passed the time of the trials.

The Cripple Creek/Victor area

In the nineteenth century, women started to break from societies expectations. Of course there were always exceptions to the rule, but a major breakthrough occurred when Elizabeth Blackwell became the first woman to graduate from a medical college in the United States. She in turn made it possible for other women to follow their choice by starting her own school, along with her sister, who was also a medical school graduate.
From that point forward, through out the end of the century and beyond until the end of WWII, women continued to enter the medical field, both as doctors and nurses. Did they have a difficult time? Probably, but then men also didn't have it easy. In Cripple Creek, Colorado, when Dr. Susan 'Doc Susie' Anderson started her medical practice, there were some 8-10 other women doctors in the mining district along with some 15-20 men who were also trying to start a practice. Considering the population of the district may have been 20,000 at best. Well do the math.

Headstone for Julia E Loomis, Colorado Springs first woman doctor who arrived in 1876-8

So, when I hear a blanket statement, that big questions always pops up in my head. "Is it really true?" Sometimes the lie makes a better story, but the digging for the truth can also tell a great tale. This journey I've been taking on the early women doctors in Colorado has led to some great stories, chances to speak on the subject and it is in an upcoming story I'm working on. I will be in the town of Victor, Colorado in March to speak on the these amazing women. I also get the chance to speak in June at the Pikes Peak Library Districts History Symposium on the same topic and that one streams live, world wide. Believe me when I say, asking the question leads to some amazing places.

Angela Raines is the pen name for Doris McCraw. Doris also writes haiku posted five days a week at - http://fivesevenfivepage.blogspot.com and has now passed one thousand haiku and photos posted on this blog. Check out her other work or like her Amazon author page:  http://amzn.to/1I0YoeL












http://amzn.com/B017Z2BLH6


http://amzn.to/1P4JVV8

"A COWBOY CELEBRATION"
http://amzn.to/1GzwJhw

HOME FOR HIS HEART
http://amzn.to/1GJhpSu





16 comments:

  1. Hi Angela / Doris!!
    Is this the Prairie Rose 'Blog Day' mentioned in my e-mail Inbox for today?
    Your comments on women in medicine throughout history raises a number of interesting points.
    First, though, a question: do you think a bloke [e.g. Yours Truly] can 'get inside the mind' of a female Protag and write effectively on this subject?
    One of my (published) books which has done moderately well so far is based on a gifted female Healer set against an outbreak of the Black Death in N. England in the 13th Century
    Assuming I've logged in on the advertised Blog page, I can post more details of this story if you think it's appropriate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, I'm not sure about the "Blog Day" you speak of, but in answer to your question, we are human, and more alike than different. I believe anyone can write about the human experience if they choose. The trick is to do it truthfully.
      As for posting details, that may best be answered by the Prairie Rose Publication owners/editors. But I do thank you for stopping by and telling the story of women healers. Doris McCraw/Angela Raines-author

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, they have. And they didn't always have it as hard as we've been led to believe, at least in some of the research I've found. Sigh. Thanks Kristy! Doris

      Delete
  3. I think healing is a natural female instinct. We're born caretakers, most of us, and the healing arts fit. However, it fit as far as the men would allow. But the women in the cave man period were healers. Remember Jean Auel's novels, starring her heroine Ayla? I just read your post over on Annette Snyder's 50 Authors/50 States, and here you are again! You've had a busy day. Nice work, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia. I agree, women are natural healers/caretakers. I did read the Jean Auel's novel.
      Yes, it is a busy weekend and a couple more coming up. But I love sharing what I learn, so I don't mind too much. Now back to the stories I'm working on. Smile. Doris

      Delete
  4. Great post, Doris. I always tend to think of how hard women had it in the past in trying to break through into any kind of male-dominated career. Growing up in the 60's-70's, even, the main career choices available to women were teacher, secretary, and nurse. My parents, especially my mother, discouraged me from nursing--back then nurses did everything that the aides do now--and she was horrified to think of her baby girl emptying bed pans! LOL But now that I'm grown, I think of my parents' mindset--they would never have thought to encourage me to go on and become a DOCTOR rather than becoming a nurse! That would never have occurred to them. So instead, they discouraged me from becoming a nurse and I ended up being a secretary for many, many years. NOT what I wanted to do!

    This really makes me think...maybe women didn't have it as hard as we tend to think, but I would imagine that the encouragement factor, and the accolades and back patting was few and very far between for them.

    Loved this!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,thank you for the encouragement. Like you I'm of the generation of parents who grew up after WWII and women did take a step back then. I was lucky, my parents said go for it. I had wanted to be a lawyer, and my parents were for it, but I listened to the male school counselor...bad me. Still I do go into the criminal justice field and don't regret it. Guess I never thought that a woman couldn't do what men did. But then you had to know my mother.
      I think women didn't necessarily have it easy, but then, life was a different animal in the 1800's and out on the outskirts of 'civilization' everyone had challenges. Doris

      Delete
  5. Not a football fan so thanks for the making the day more interesting. And thanks for the history lesson. Your blog reminds me of the TV series DR. Quinn, Medicine Woman. The fictional tale takes place in Colorado and the poor woman has to let a barber pull a perfectly good tooth out of her head before anyone will start to take her seriously. Women have always struggled in a man's world.
    I was never a cheerleader or Pom-pom girl. I was a drummer in the '70s and had a few struggles of my own. Because I was a girl they wanted me to play the xylophone, bells, tambourine, anything that looked more feminine. To heck with that- I could rap on the snare or base drums as good as any of those boys. LOL And I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. Yes Dr. Quinn was based on the concept of the book "Doc Susie" by Virginia Cornell. I have to admit the idea of struggle makes for good storytelling, but it isn't always the case. Life was hard for everyone back then, both for men and women. Like now, women still struggle to be heard. We tend to forget the effort our ancestors went to to get to where we are. And like you, if the Bears are playing, I don't care. HAHAHA. Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed the post. Doris

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of doctors for just 20,000 people. How unusual. Even today there is a scarcity of doctors in small towns and in impoverished communities in America.
    Very informative post, Doris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I thought so too. Of course Cripple Creek was a booming mining area, but not that booming. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I love sharing the story of these early women. Doris

      Delete
  7. Thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing. What also amazed me when I researched for my story set in Columbia, CA in the 1850s was the number of dentists. Considering the population, I wonder what they did for their day job....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten to the dentist yet. It does seem to have been a favorite for many as a career. Colorado Springs had the first woman dentist in the late 1890's. She was quite the woman. Her husband was also a dentist. The stories of these women keeps me going. Thanks for stopping by. Doris

      Delete
  8. Doris, Sorry I'm a day late, the football party at friends' house took the day over. Great blog and I so enjoyed it. I too believe women were born healers and cargivers from the beginning of time, yet it was difficult for the women of the past to break into the men's world in any leading profession, but by golly they stuck to their guns and finally made head way. I wrote a story about a female doctor(almost with her degree) a LONG time ago and am itching to get it back out and revamp it, tweak it,and see if it'll go. Looking forward to your story re: those women doctors. Always,Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Bev. Yes, the Super Bowl was huge, especially here in Colorado. Of course, I hunkered down and did some research...grin.

    These women doctors grabbed me about two years ago and they won't let go. I think they want me to make sure others remember what they did. At least that is what I tell myself.

    I look forward to the revamped women doctor story. Women are great healers and their stories, however told are important. Thank you for the kind words and support. Doris

    ReplyDelete